Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Books on Ancient Leather
looking for books on all thing to do with Leather in the Ancient and Classical world, leather work techniques, Tanning and preperation of materials, Manufacture, Factorys, people shoemakers Tanners etc..
Many Thanks in Advance...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Not really a book, but a good website of a fellow RAT-member:
http://sutor.jimdo.com/

Furthermore you could search for the work of Carol van Driel-Murray
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi

This book might be of interest

Leather and the Warrior by John W. Waterer. The Museum of Leathercraft, Northampton. 1981
isbn 0 9504182 1 8

Also by the same author 'Leather' in Roman Crafts (eds) D. Strong & D. Brown.1976. London

And
Studies in Ancient Technology Vol IV R.J. Forbes. 1966. Leiden.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
"Sandals, shoes and other leatherwork from the Coptic Monastery Deir-el-Bachit"

http://www.scribd.com/doc/82419540/Veldm...-el-Bachit
www.romaiv.com - a Roman town in Australia? Why not?
Man saying it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it. (Chinese proverb)
In French: "Le cuir à l'époque romaine", by Martine Leguilloux.
Eduardo Vázquez
Hi Crispianus,

There is also Römische Schuhe: Luxus an den Füßen by Peter Knotzele, ISBN 978-3806221725

Its very will illustrated in color.

Best,

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Hi Crispianus,

Quote:There is also Römische Schuhe: Luxus an den Füßen by Peter Knotzele, ISBN 978-3806221725

Get this book if only for its bibliography section. It is very complete for everything todo with shoes and one of the most modern ones as well.
Besides that check the bibliography pages of the http://www.archleathgrp.org.uk/ - I highly recommedn becoming a member, I find it well worth the small fee!
Thanks All for you input Confusedmile:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
For an overview Carol van Driel-Murray: Tanning and Leather, 483-496, in the award-winning 2008 book John Oleson: Engineering and Technology in the Classical World . It includes a rich bibliography.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books about the ancient warfare Antek 8 2,178 08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Antek