Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know that everyone has pondered this.
Quote:Scenario: Hollywood calls you at your house to direct a Roman epic. You have a huge budget, can hire anyone, and have total creative control. How do you proceed?
I would love to make a movie about Alexander. That's not Roman, I know. But the siege of Tyre is great stuff.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
One thing that's important in any movie project is to stay away from clichés. There have been so many movies about gladiators.
everybody seems to include a roman orgy/depraved emperor.

One suggestion is get in touch with John Saylor, who has written a series of "private eye" novels set in the last days of the roman republic. It is a new twist on roman life.

Another suggestion is to take a look at romans traveling outside the empire. this would place familiar characters (roman soldiers, merchants, officials) in unfamiliar surroundings. you can use your imagination to build any story.

A third approach is to make a movie from barbarian's point of view as he travels through the Roman Empire. This would give a different perspective for your movie.

Al
The siege of Alesia from the perspective of a teenaged girl in love with a Gaulish boy.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The Year of the Four Emperors could be the plot of a compelling movie.

Nero - John Bradley-West
Galba - Jonathan Pryce
Otho - Leonardo Di Caprio
Vitellius - Timothy Spall
Vespasian - Anthony Hopkins
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:The siege of Alesia from the perspective of a teenaged girl in love with a Gaulish boy.

The girl has an expressionless face and the boy is a metro vampire. Now it will sell millions.
Quote:The girl has an expressionless face and the boy is a metro vampire. Now it will sell millions.

How freaking odd! :woot:

I once started a humorous novel titled, The Rise and Fall of The Roman Vampire. It took place in the reign of Nero and had Sherlockius as the main character, along with his assistant Watsonius. Confusedilly:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
The Year of the Four Emperors could be the plot of a compelling movie.

Nero - John Bradley-West
Galba - Jonathan Pryce
Otho - Leonardo Di Caprio
Vitellius - Timothy Spall
Vespasian - Anthony Hopkins
--- Marcus F. ---