Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know that everyone has pondered this.
What ever I did, I would make sure nobody in the movie wore bracers/wrist armor. Tongue That alone is a guaranteed slam on these pages. lol
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
"I\'ll Either Find A Way Or Make One" from Hannibal

John Pruitt
Quote:What ever I did, I would make sure nobody in the movie wore bracers/wrist armor. Tongue That alone is a guaranteed slam on these pages. lol
You could always set it during the Dacian wars and have a legionary wearing a manica who is also an archer...

Another film I'd love to see would follow the Dacian Wars, from the perspective of the Ninth Cohort of Batavians, beginning at Vindolanda (where the main characters are established) then following their journey across Europe and into battle. I think we've already had the epic war scenes/Roman Senate scenes in other films, so I'd want to restrict the setting to the lower levels of society as much as possible.
Instead of trying to be ultra-realistic, I would go in the opposite direction and have my film be about a zombie outbreak in Rome. It is pretty hard to mess up anything that has zombies in it.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
... or US marines versus legionaries? :lol:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:... or US marines versus legionaries? :lol:

I forgot about that one! Big Grin
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Spare no expense on manufacturing new, accurate costumes. :woot:

And get Weta Workshop to make them.
Hold it! :woot:
Wait a minute! :eek:

You've got it all wrong.
Hire Irishmen and Scots to play the Romans.
Hire Italians to play the Germanic Barbarians.
Don't use accurate costuming because the average movie-goer doesn't really care, so just recycle those silly helmets they use for History Channel documentaries. After all, it is the HISTORY channel, you know. Cool
Don't use Latin! Latin? It's a totally dead language, not just mostly dead. Use French with no subtitles, because you're a French director and want to keep things PURE. :whistle:
Write the script yourself, and make sure most of the Nubians are stark naked.
Use plenty of CGI by Chinese artists-- that way, the battles can take place in the sky and the bamboo forest: the exact place where the Lost Romans fought the Chinese and Germans. :-D

And for the BIG climax, have Abraham Lincoln kill the Dead Chinese-Germanic Zombies one more time by using knife-blades in his sandals. Tongue Tongue Cool Cool
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:Roman history offers a multitude of storytelling opportunities, it would be hard to pin down a specific event. One thing is for sure: Latin speech with subtitles would be a must.

At least one dialect each of Latin and Greek. Aramaic, Gothic, and some dialects of Gallic shouldn't present too many problems either. I'm not sure the status of Punic. But Ligurian, Thracian, or Dacian will be pretty challenging, let alone Etruscan or Iberian.
Of course you could have a large Late Roman ship land in North America with at least one Christian priest on board and find the remnant Jewish lost tribes who have adopted Native American culture willing to battle to the death over the ship in order to return to Israel. And just to make is sure to be shown on the History channel you could throw in a tribe of native Americans who have converted to Islam too! OF yes forgot the shipwrecked blond blue eyed Viking warrior woman too!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:Hold it! :woot:
Wait a minute! :eek:

You've got it all wrong.
Hire Irishmen and Scots to play the Romans.
Hire Italians to play the Germanic Barbarians.
Don't use accurate costuming because the average movie-goer doesn't really care, so just recycle those silly helmets they use for History Channel documentaries. After all, it is the HISTORY channel, you know. Cool
Don't use Latin! Latin? It's a totally dead language, not just mostly dead. Use French with no subtitles, because you're a French director and want to keep things PURE. :whistle:
Write the script yourself, and make sure most of the Nubians are stark naked.
Use plenty of CGI by Chinese artists-- that way, the battles can take place in the sky and the bamboo forest: the exact place where the Lost Romans fought the Chinese and Germans. :-D

And for the BIG climax, have Abraham Lincoln kill the Dead Chinese-Germanic Zombies one more time by using knife-blades in his sandals. Tongue Tongue Cool Cool

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Big Grin You forgot to have Russel Crowe come back from the dead to lead the legions. After all, he did star in the completely accurate movie, Gladiator. You also need Mila Kunis to play a completely innacurate, underdressed warrior princess leader of Scythian auxillary unit, who ditracts from the main plot and adds all kinds of unnecessary sexual content into the movie. ;-)
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
How about:

CIRCUS MAXIMUS - a story of the deadly rivalry between two top charioteers competing to be the best in Rome.

Sort of like Days of Thunder, but with chariots... (and without Tom Cruise)

Loads of races, loads of collisions, treacherous backstabbing, the whole city going chariot-crazy, senators betting their fortunes on the races, rival factions battling in the streets, the emperor Antoninus Pius (played by Christopher Walken) calling out the Praetorians to restore order... Epic enough?

:grin:
Nathan Ross
That would work....

what about Julian?
Jass
How about Julian dressed like Abraham Lincoln, killing the Zombie chariot racers, then taken to the hospital with apostate problems, while Mila undresses even more in the front seats, and the Chinese flying women swoop down with Christian crosses and silver stakes to kill Julian (who is moaning in the back of the hospital wagon), so that he's inequivically dead, not just totally dead... and Hypathia looks skyward, shouting, "Look! We're revolving around the Sun!" and then falls into the arena and is run over by onrushing Pagan chariots driven by Russel Crowe and Kirk Douglas. :woot:

Then we can have the credits roll... while plebs sweep up the disembodied remains of Hypathia, accompanied by ZZ Top singing "Viva Los Vegas." Confusedhock: 8)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
The first question has to be just how much are you going to pay me and if the price is right I shall give you a better job than Ridley Scott.
Brian Stobbs
Alanus drove the point home.

In reality, it's gonna be a lot of BS with a Roman Movie, as no one really wants to see it. A lot of people tried to capitalize on the thing after Gladiator came out, but Gladiator was really as good as it gets when it comes to this kind of thing.

Albeit, Powers Booth played a pretty good Aetius, despite how horrible that movie was.

To do an accurate movie is gonna make it more like a boring 4 hour documentary.