Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
squamata scales
Ave!<br>
<br>
Well, since it has been driven home the absolute absurdity of trying to recreate a period plumata in any realistic timeframe, does anyone have a good supplier for squamata scales, preferably in brass, but steel would do if brass is too hard to come by. I have a source on brass sheeting and I have friends with beverly sheers, but the idea of cutting out 400+ scales myself is beyond my spare time allottment anytime soon. I know price will be high perhaps, but I have seen brass 'trophy tags' that seem to match the right dimensions for a reasonable price, but I would still be cutting the corners off of 'em, and I would prefer to do nothing more than punch the holes (would be even better if they came prepunched too!!).<br>
<br>
Any die makers out there just looking for an excuse to blow a weekend on a new die? for punching out small squamata?<br>
<br>
Anyway,<br>
<br>
Gratis,<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i></i>
400 small scales? for a complete shirt?<br>
<br>
Look at the one I am wearing on my book cover. They are about 3/8 in. wide and 3/4 inch long, and it took<br>
SIX THOUSAND, double that for real small scales.<br>
<br>
Deepeeka had several types of scale as well as lamella, but don't know if you can buy them sepertely.<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Hmmmmm...I guess I was basing that on some of the pictures I've seen in some of Michael Simkins books (both artistic and snapshots of archaelogical evidence), as well as the information on the Legio XX webpage that lists that some scales that have been found were 2" wide by 3" tall. Also, I was looking at the later period cavalry style of lacing them (so that a thrust upwards did not lift and seperate the scales), so though this would limit the mobility of the vest, I had also hoped that it would reduce the number of scales needed to complete it.<br>
<br>
Of course, if these are all misassumptions, I'd appreciate more input!<br>
<br>
Regarding the Deepeeka scales....if you ever talk with them further about squamata, I'd be very interested in simply purchasing the individual pieces seperately. Especially the small scales that you mention. Most armorers tend not to want to sell the pieces this way, though, as it reduces their profit margin. But I believe there would be interest in the Re-enactment field for this type of service....<br>
<br>
Thanks for the input!<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
I'd have to go back and re-research some stuff to be sure, but as I recall I got the upper range of scale sizes from Robinson's "Armour of Imperial Rome". I think those bigger ones came mostly from Carnuntum, and he shows a drawing from Von Groller's publication of those finds that shows they are mostly iron, only a few brass. But all the scales I've seen photos of, in Robinson and other works, are all the smaller sizes, and usually brass rather than iron. Wacky, but like I say I'm mostly going from my (increasingly sieve-like) memory, here.<br>
<br>
The larger sizes should still be fine, just might not have been very common in most of the Empire. They might even become more common in later stuff, like the lamellar armor you are describing. (Though lamellar is generally thought of as being made from narrower scales, if longish.) So, yeah, with bigger scales you don't need as many, and with a shortish lamellar cuirass you need even fewer than on a thigh-length squamata.<br>
<br>
And yes, we'd LOVE for Deepeeka or someplace else to sell loose scales by the pound! Ain't seen it happen yet, though. So start cutting! In the time it took us to post and read all these messages, you could have gotten a couple dozen done already! Just don't try to do it with a deadline.<br>
<br>
Happy cutting! Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
<br>
<br>
Okay okay, thanks Matt!<br>
<br>
Britannicus...feeling more like an auxillary than a legionaire every day! <p></p><i></i>
.Cutting scales isn't so bad You should do it with some friends.One men cut, second polish, and third punch or drill holes. In few days you'll have ready scales, more experience and money in your pocket.It's better to make small scales, then Armour will be more flexible.<br>
P.S. remember, if you would use steel, you should oxide it in Oil. Otherwise you could have very big problems with rust!!!Squamata or plumata are very problematic(in some places impossible) to clean!!! <p></p><i></i>
Avete!<br>
I finally broke down yesterday and registered at Deepeeka, since I'd been hearing about new stuff and needed to look. And they have scales! In the Greek section, not sure if you can find them from the Roman section. The photo shows a nice variety in several sizes and hole configurations, and the text implies that you can get any style in any of 3 sizes and with a choice of steel, brass, or bronze. So it might be a much bigger selection than it looks like, but you'd have to email them if you don't see just what you like.<br>
<br>
I have also heard a rumor that you can now buy retail directly from Deepeeka, but have not confirmed that. No idea if it would be any cheaper or easier than buying through a vendor, though it might be a sensible thing for special-ordering a specific batch of scales, for instance.<br>
<br>
This should save a lot of people a lot of misery! Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Ave!<br>
<br>
Outstanding. I have already registered for their site, but have only checked out a few items. Thanks for pointing this out! I just received a price quote on the greek folding greeves, but I don't know if the quote was for brass or steel, since I asked for both...price was $378 (including shipping) to St. Louis, MO. Seems a little high, but that's only because I don't have one to look at up close and personal like, and I'm sure because shipping is outrageous. Might be well worth it.....or might not. Anyone seen this in person?<br>
<br>
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the price per scale isnt' outrageous. Since they don't list the dimensions on the website of the scales, I'm takinga stab in the dark as to how many I would need....lets see...car payment...small brass scales....<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<br>
Britannicus <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gaiusaquiliusbritannicus>Gaius Aquilius Britannicus</A> at: 2/18/04 6:13 am<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Squamata Scales Renger 3 2,066 03-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Renger
  How to estimate the need for scales in a squamata ? Bran ap Maclou 2 1,144 07-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Bran ap Maclou
  Lorica Squamata Scales Source? Gallus Marinus Micarius 5 2,507 04-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus