Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damascus Steel
It's a fantastic blade, I think Moi will be proud!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Damascus steel or "Damast" in German is jaust a modern word for an old thing. In spanish "damascinado" means what we know as "Tauschierung": inlaying precious metals into iron to create patterns.
So the word "Damascus" might stand for the pattern, not the city. We have no real evidence for a blade-making "industry" in the city of Damascus. Not in roman time, not in the middle ages.

It might be that in the times of the crusades there was a trading route ending in Damascus on which blades from central asia made of wootz reached syria and came in sight of the western warriors fighting there. For these, the blades came "from Damascus" and had a pattern that was (in this time) unknown in the west (european swords were constructed in other ways in that time, creating no special pattern).

It`s just a theory, but this might have led to the confusion we now have: patterned steel which is NOT pattern-welded (wootz) traded in a famous city (Damascus) comes in sight of europeans who do (at this point of history) not know about pattern-welded/otherwise patterned blades and call them "damascene blades".

The rest is just iron-technology.
As Robert has stated, forge-welding of blades exists in europe from the time when iron was first used for blades because it is a technical MUST! There is no other way to create any iron/steel thing out of bloomery iron.
The only thing we do not know exactly is the time when smiths recognised that there are differences in steels which can be used for making better tools/blades/whatever, when they began to combine different steels and when they discovered that there are techniques (etching or polishing, none is proved in europe for sure) which make differences of steels in a blade visible. The next step in such an evolution is to create patterns intentionally.

Romans did that from the 2nd - 3rd century onwards, the patterns getting more and more complex (as we can see in some blades from Nydam, Illerup,... where even mosaic-techniques were used).
The typical western-type blades of the migration period are a direct descendant of these roman blades. The evolution of the blade types and patterns is also, as ever ;-) in Miks`book.

I could not agree more, this is EXACTLY what I said two pages ago especially considering that bloom steel is folded and patterned due to its unrefined carbon content. No matter what you make with it, if it becomes polished the grain and pattern are present. Blooms of different content would almost certainly be forged together. Aristotle documents resmelting iron to create a more quality steel and this forge welded to iron creates a pattern.

SO would a patterned gladius be appropriate from just about any period.... The answer is an obvious YES! :grin: Most often it would be what is referred to by modern smiths as "random pattern" which is many layers folded or stacked and welded together. There are also both pugios and gladii from possibly the first and definitely the second century onward that have twisted core patterns which seem to be very popular running into the third century. There is a very famous one with a gold inlay of Mars just above the hilt. Cool

Also there is no evidence that pattern welding came about as a lack of industrial infrastructure. Where is this inference coming from? There is no record of an "iron scarcity." It is just roman smiths becoming more developed with pattern making. any one person can see the obvious potential of welding patterns and it is silly to think they were forced into it. Tongue Basically one way to look at it is that they are already working to conserve quality steel by welding it with iron, so why would necessity or this sudden lack of resources drive them to make patterns?

The celts were already forging patterns into their swords before the Romans anyway. Again composite twisted core is a favourite of antiquity. If the Romans are learning so much metal work from the celts, why are we assuming that they did not begin pattern making until centuries after conquest of most of the celtic people.

I guess the romans just don't like shiny pretty gaudy objects to show off.... :whistle:
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Evidence to back up my statements!

Here is a one good archaeological find
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthr...ed%20roman

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Not to mentions the Nydam moss finds are almost certainly of later roman origin.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
(09-25-2012, 04:04 PM)Alanus Wrote: It's been said that an analysis of Viking pattern welded swords has shown the steel to have arrived from Afganistan. We see blades of pattern steel in the Ospray books, in reference to Germanic craftsmen, but has an early Germanic pattern welded sword been found?

This needs updating with more recent data. The swords in question were found to be made of hypereutectoid steel. At the time they thought that crucible steel was the only way to get hypereutectoid steel and crucible steel came from India and Afghanistan during the time in question. However, we now know that hypereutectoid steel can also be produced in a regular bloomery smelter so they all could have been made locally in Europe. One of these swords (an Ulfbehrt blade) was recently analysed by the Institute for Inorganic Chemistry at Hannover and they produced the following results.

1. The high level of manganese in the steel points to a European source and not an Indian or Middle Eastern one.
2. The level of arsenic indicates that the ore came from Germany and not Scandinavia or anywhere else in Europe.
3. The handle was made of a lead-tin alloy. The lead isotope in that alloy only exists in what was known as the Taunus region, an area between the Rhine, Hahn, and Wetterau.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Wow, great update Dan! I know a lot folks read these old posts and I know I go back to them quite often. As you know I feel the use of the latest technology such as here is a valuable source of "hard evidence" that brings us ever closer to the truth. Do you have the report with all the scientific mumbo-jumbo and is it in English?
Joe Balmos
Afraid not. I took notes from their press release a few years ago rather than the original report.

At the time, Frankish artisans worked out of monasteries. There were two monasteries in the Taunus region that had a long tradition of sword making - Lorsch and Fulda. It seems reasonable to conclude that the sword in question came from one of those two monasteries.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(01-31-2021, 09:03 PM)Creon01 Wrote: Wow, great update Dan! I know a lot folks read these old posts and I know I go back to them quite often. As you know I feel the use of the latest technology such as here is a valuable source of "hard evidence" that brings us ever closer to the truth. Do you have the report with all the scientific mumbo-jumbo and is it in English?
I did not know about this one!

There is a German Wikipedia Page Schwert von Großenwieden citing archaeological reports from 2014 and 2015 in German.  The link to the Niedersächsische Landesamt für Denkmalpflege seems to be the one with the archaeometallurgy.

An English paraphrase of their article in the Süddeutsche Zeitung is at War History Online.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Free Access Achive:

Nachrichten aus Niedersachsens Urgeschichte

2015 with pdfs:

Vol 84 (2015): Nachrichten aus Niedersachsens Urgeschichte

And Here:

https://denkmalpflege.niedersachsen.de/s...62049.html
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867