Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting a scutum (Republican) with carrying strap
I've had quite a long look through the threads, and my impression - which could be wrong - is that the current 'thinking' on the carrying of scuta (mainly derived from depictions) is that they were suspended from one strap over the shoulder, with possibly another one holding the shield to the body.

However, it also seems that many RATers have found this method cumbersome, awkward and downright impractical when attempting to march. They have used a two-strap method, whereby they carry the scutum from their backs, like a backpack.

I have a Republican scutum, which is more curved than most Imperial ones. This might be why I have found it very hard/almost impossible to carry comfortably from one shoulder. Furthermore, it bangs off my legs no matter where I position it. There's no way that I could walk one mile with it like this, let alone 10-15 in a day. I'm going to walk Hadrian's Wall in the late spring, for charity, so I need to find a method that works well, and I think the two-strap method would work best.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Even better, do they have any decent photos of the two strap method? Thanks in advance for any input.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
speak to Tarbicus, hes working on this at the moment
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Here are some really useful links to groups who've been experimenting with what seems to have been a carrying system on the Fayum scutum.

www.legxiii.at/fotos_reko_fayum.html
http://rambambashi.wordpress.com/2012/03...xperiment/ (fixed link)
www.armamentaria.com/store/index.php?mai...th=9&products_id=273
www.roman-reenactor.com/roman%20scutum%20plan.html

I took some photos of my own mash up: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/20-roma...tml#327977
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The Rambambashi link doesn't work for me, but the others do. Good info. Thanks!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Jukelmann did it with a single strap (and a second strap across the shoulders) back in the 80's over the Alps, and they were carrying Repulican scuta.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Quote:Jukelmann did it with a single strap (and a second strap across the shoulders) back in the 80's over the Alps, and they were carrying Repulican scuta.
But that was purely hypothetical. The method shown by Tarbicus and by LEG XIII GEM.at is based on evidence. ;-)
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Thank you, especially Tarbicus, for those answers and links. I sense a visit to B & Q coming on!

(Where did you buy the jute cord, Tarbicus?)
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

www.benkane.net
Quote:(Where did you buy the jute cord, Tarbicus?)

B&Q. I used chain links from there for the hanging rings, too. They'll cut to length, although I bought minimum lengths of different varieties to try out. The reason for the green ends on the chord (painter's tape) was so I could push the chord through the eyes, and as there are only working hypotheses on how the carrying system works I decided to leave them on for now.

Cheap as chips :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Interesting. I think it will need to sit a bit higher on the back than depicted though. Thats going to be hitting the back of your shins.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks, Tarbicus. And what did you fasten the chain links to the scutum with - 'U' shaped staples like one uses on fencing?

www.benkane.net
I just used the same eyed screws as the rest, opened them up to take the rings, and closed them again.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Interesting. I think it will need to sit a bit higher on the back than depicted though. Thats going to be hitting the back of your shins.

Byron, there's a photo showing a reconstruction being carried on the back at the Leg XXIII page which shows that's not the case.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I was referring to the drawing Tarb. It's only an image though. :-)
It would def hit as shown.
http://www.roman-reenactor.com/roman%20s...0plan.html

A bit of tweaking as done in real life always works wonders! ;-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Maybe that explains the chord pulled by the finger: to tip the shield forward and away from the legs?

http://www.legxiii.at/fotos/reko/fayum/F...815%29.JPG
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I was wondering about that. But that would be a pain in the a$$ I was thinking.
Still, the whole concept has a lot of merit. I have had a hard time committing to the other methods shown over the years. I may succumb and do this to my own, or some thing along these lines.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,584 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Scutum Sling/Carrying Strap Bryan 5 1,846 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Republican scutum Tarbicus 18 6,084 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus