Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting a scutum (Republican) with carrying strap
Hi,

we did some trial and error with the rings and cord as carrying strap. Using cord has some advantages: it is rather cheap (such point surely did also apply 2000 years ago) und you can easily adjust it to your own size, just lengthening/shortening the cord with some knots.

the cord through the 2 upper rings probably wasn't used for carrying, as you would need fingers of steel - although there is one image just showing this
http://www.legxiii.at/fotos/reko/fayum/P...Seite2.jpg

another possibilty is using this for hanging the scutum on a wall while in camp, or perhaps connecting them during transport (e.g. troop transport with ships)
perhaps there was some other use, which still eludes us ...
Konrad Köchler

www.legxiii.at
In 'The Logistics of the Roman Army at War (264B.C.-A.D.235)', Jonathan P. Roth writes (p.76):

Quote:Festus adds the detail that the burden (onera) was carried on a “littleboard” (tabella) laid between the forks (in furca interposita). There is no reason to think that this system changed significantly from the late Republic to the Early Empire. In fact, a scene on Trajan’s column illustrates the carrying method described in the literary sources. In one panel, the front line of soldiers bear shields on their left arms,their right hands being empty, but the soldiers of the rear line carry their gear attached to the end of a pole. On top of the pole, a pack or sarcina is represented in minute detail, with its contents clearly visible, as described above. The cross-bar mentioned in the sources is not visible, but the position of the sack and satchel shows that one must have been present to arrange the items as illustrated. One detail, however, appears to be incorrect: the Roman soldier could not possibly have carried his gear suspended high over the shoulder in the manner shown on the column. The artist of Trajan’s Column clearly has taken some artistic license. He did not include shields when he illustrated soldiers carrying their sarcina, although the outline of a shield is perhaps recognizable on the left shoulder of the first soldier behind the signifer. The artist also took the liberty of extending the pole high over the soldier’s head and eliminating theshield in order to make the sarcina more visible. In practice, each soldier must have carried his shield, and it is the necessity of bearing the shield and the sarcina simultaneously that clarifies the method the Romans used. The most natural way to carry the shield on marches was not on the arm, but rather slung over the back. The reconstruction of the carrying system by Junkelmann and Fuentes differ, but they agree on a fundamental point: the sarcina was not carried high over the head, but rather balanced on the top of the shield. Such a method would have distributed the weight of the sarcina as effectively as a modern back-pack.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
[attachment=6617]IMAG0728.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6618]IMAG0729.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6619]IMAG0730.jpg[/attachment]

For what it's worth, this is how I've done it. I used nothing more than a simple coat hanger, clipped off to the required lengths. I held the shield at the right height for it not to bang the back of my legs, got a friend to measure where the holes should go and simply poked holes through the shield. So far, I've walked 36 miles/58 kms with no problems at all. It's very comfy.

And here's my living history bit of useful info: the way I've rigged the buckles, it's possible to undo one strap really fast and swing the shield around to grab a hold of the handle. In other words, in an ambush situation, this method would work. Another method, used by at least one reenactment group that I know of, involves having a strap that's looped around the shield grip. In my opinion, this would hinder the proper use of the shield in an emergency such as an ambush. End of lesson! (And it's all supposition, I know, I know :-) )

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Looking very good Ben, you could also consider on a ring and loop construction on one side this would even release faster.
ps just begun reading the silver eagle as it is as good as the forgotten legion,than it will cost al ot of sleep Wink
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Thanks, Agrimensor. And enjoy The Silver Eagle!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Planning my first plywood Republican scutum, advice needed torongill 2 1,599 11-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Last Post: torongill
  Scutum Sling/Carrying Strap Bryan 5 1,862 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Republican scutum Tarbicus 18 6,103 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus