Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LATE ROMANS IN BRITIAN ,NORTH WEST EUROPE
Hello Caius here with a question. Is there any one who might know the variuos sheild devices used by the army in the western Empire. I know there was a list Nottia something or other. I am intrested in the Wall (Hadrains)the Rhine Frontier . If some one could sen me pics that would be great. Thanks Cheers Caius/Thom <p></p><i></i>
Hi caius,<br>
<br>
The shield designs for all of the units are not known. Indeed, the Notitia Dignitatum shows some (if we can trust these not to be invented or altered by the later copyists!). Alas, only the elite <em>comitatenses</em> (mostly) are shown, not the vast amount of lesser-graded <em>limitanei</em>.<br>
<br>
A very good site is Luke Ueda's:<br>
[url=http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson/NotitiaPatterns.html" target="top]Late Roman Shield Patterns taken from the Notitia Dignitatum[/url]<br>
<br>
The Dux Britanniarum was responcible for Hadrian's Wall, but we have no shields from that list, because all the troops werre considered <em>Limitanei</em>. The Dux Mogontiacensis commanded part of the Rhine frontier.<br>
<br>
If you want to know about any particul;ar unit, please contact me at [email protected] .<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)