Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying researchers
If you have someone do some reasearch for you how do you set out the rates of pay for them? I'm looking at getting some do, particularly finding reports etc that aren't in English but have no idea how you'd go about working out the fees. I'd like to have some idea before I approach them.

Anyone done this?
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Well....
You could just roll up a wheelbarrow of gold, and ask them to take how much they need, and leave the rest for someone else. :woot:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Funnily enough I was thinking along the lines of, 'here's my credit card details' ;-)
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
The university I attend is paying student researchers for a few roles/projects, and generally from what I've gathered of the information given, it's a little over the minimum wage per hour.
aka Samantha
ROMA ANTIQVA VII CLAUDIA
Glasses in my avatar are so then I\'m not squinting and giving myself a headache. Generally not worn while on site, if I can help it.
Quote:If you have someone do some reasearch for you how do you set out the rates of pay for them? I'm looking at getting some do, particularly finding reports etc that aren't in English but have no idea how you'd go about working out the fees. I'd like to have some idea before I approach them.
Well a good clue is always what you think you're worth and compare their contribution to whatever it is you want done. In the UK, the baseline should of course be the statutory minimum wage (would you work for less?), but if you don't feel happy setting a fee (I usually negotiate with clients rather than work to a fixed rate) you could always go to one of the freelance work websites (Google is your friend; I will not recommend any) and get potential researchers to bid for the job. There are a lot of people hungry for work at the moment, but by the same token, you know very well what you will get if you pay peanuts ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for the replies. I've no problem paying for the research, I wouldn't expect quality without paying for it, in anything.

I was wondering about how you set the rates? If I ask for reports on evidence of technique X used in Roman mosaic production and they don't find anything (which obviously could happen) then I have to have a set payment for their time but do you then pay a bonus for each relevant detail found?

While i'm on the subject.....if you read a book which has a quote or uses a detail from an archaeological paper can you use that quote with the reference or should you always see the whole report to check the context in which it's being used?

Ta!
Lawrence Payne

Quote:Thanks for the replies. I've no problem paying for the research, I wouldn't expect quality without paying for it, in anything.
You'd be surprised (and probably depressed) by how many do expect just that.

Quote:I was wondering about how you set the rates? If I ask for reports on evidence of technique X used in Roman mosaic production and they don't find anything (which obviously could happen) then I have to have a set payment for their time but do you then pay a bonus for each relevant detail found?
Researchers will generally want to be paid by time, rather than results. A good researcher's time will, after all, produce the results if they are there. They would at the very least produce a report detailing their avenues of investigation and report negative searches (e.g. 'Googled for mosaic production whilst smeared in honey and yodelling but found no results'). The point is you should be able to go back and check those results. Anyway, I thought bonuses were only given to undeserving bankers... ;-)

Quote:While i'm on the subject.....if you read a book which has a quote or uses a detail from an archaeological paper can you use that quote with the reference or should you always see the whole report to check the context in which it's being used?
I've used quotes gleaned that way before now, especially from difficult-to-obtain originals such as unpublished documents or pers. comms. Just refer to it as X 'cited in...' whichever source you found it in.

Mike Bishop

PhD students will research for food. Bring pizza and beer.
Bryan Dove
Thanks Mike, exactly what I was after. It would have never occurred to me to ask for a search record.

Decimus, I would hate to feel responsible for engendering such bad eating habits in our youth. I would take them tofu and carrot sticks instead :wink:
Lawrence Payne

Quote:Decimus, I would hate to feel responsible for engendering such bad eating habits in our youth. I would take them tofu and carrot sticks instead :wink:

Fine, but you get what you pay for Tongue
Bryan Dove
Quote:
Musivarius post=328284 Wrote:Decimus, I would hate to feel responsible for engendering such bad eating habits in our youth. I would take them tofu and carrot sticks instead :wink:
Fine, but you get what you pay for Tongue
Wind?

Mike Bishop

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you paying too much??????? Please read Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs 11 2,298 05-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs
  Firefox extention for researchers Alexandr K 2 1,157 11-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Alexandr K