Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAIL DOUBLINGS IN THE 2ND CENTURY
Hello Thom here My questions is this. I am a member of a 2nd Century Roman group. There are two members of our group that were the doublings on the mail which I have read were withdrawn from service by the time of the Dacian wars. Is it correct to have these doublings. I dont think so. I use a coat of mail and dont have one. To me it seems more like the time of the republic. Any how take care everyone byyee Caius/thommyboy <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
The shoulder doublings are clearly shown on both hamatae and squamatae on the Adamklissi reliefs. Those depict legionaries in the Dacian campaigns, so the doublings are still in use then. How long after that they stuck around is another question! I think they're all gone by late 2nd century, but not sure how much pictoral evidence there is before that.<br>
<br>
If your group is early 2nd century, I'd say the doublings are still fine, but it ain't my group. Ain't really my period, either!<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thom, another thing to consider is the addition of armour in this period, nay, this region and the Dacian campaigns. To remove shoulder doublings in a conflict where the falx was cleaving through scuta and helms alike wouldn't make too much sense. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
"Lay your hand, or thy tongue against the greatness of Rome, and feel my wrath." - Matt Lanteigne<br>
<br>
- Number of posts: current +1248</p><i></i>
Salvete fraters,
Yes, I think that shoulder doubler is usable for your period :-) -) ) I think, that mail was the most popular lorica in roman army true periods.

best regards from Prague :-) )
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lammellar shoulder doublings?? richard robinson 5 2,430 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Last Post: scott