Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman minutes and seconds
Quote:Vegetius even states (Mil. 1.9.3) that recruits should march 20 miles in 5 hours.
" . . . at least summer (ones)" (dumtaxat aestivis), emphasizing that winter hours were different. (I assume that aestivis is an adjective qualifying horis.)
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
A useful topic, thanks to all who've contributed. I've gone along similar lines myself, choosing to use 'quarter hour' or 'half hour' if needed. As time goes on, however, I find even that grates as feeling too modern, so I now try to use 'Some time later' or 'A short time later' in preference. It really grates when I read in Roman novels that a messenger is expected in 'ten minutes or so' - said the soldier, consulting his Casio!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Interesting topic! Has anybody seen: Peter Heslin, "Augustus, Domitian and the so-called Horologium Augusti," Journal of Roman Studies, vol. 97, 2007, pp. 1-20. ?

As an undergraduate I did a bit of work on sacral calenders and Rome, the Fasti, Annalistic tradition etc, not so much every day stuff. From what I recall though, wouldn't certain parts of the day be named in relationship to certain religious elements too?

Also, Juvenal might have something. I recall something about him playfully mocking the Roman salutatio, he deliberately gets the timing wrong for impact. He may be more specific than the day/night/first hour etc but I can't recall.
Jass