Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 5th century group
Finally after a false start last season i am pleased to annouce the start of a new reenactment group in Leicester and the surrounding area. We are a small group of friends who are looking to expand. We cover the period 410-475 AD, portraying a militia unit raised to protect one of the local villas/local industries following the withdrawal of the Roman military and the gradual breakdown of urban society. Ex Roman soldiers, Romano Britains and even Germanic settlers are all welcomed into the ranks. We are a battle reenactment society but also welcome living history. Website will be online shortly and we can be contacted at [email protected] we are looking to meet and forge links with other groups as well as recruit for ourselves
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
That sounds great, do you have a base or certain ancient villa/monument that you are focussing your activities on?
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Good luck with it!
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
"Leicester and the surrounding area"

if you can drag yourselves a tiny bit north you are in the territory of the Pecsaetna, there seems to be historic and dna evidence of a remnant Roman population in that area. The Lutudarum paper, presents the historic case, the Bird paper the dna case. The Pecsaetna are commonly assumed to be Anglian in origin but there seems to be no conclusive evidence for this;

http://www.conferencesdirect.co.uk/clact...udarum.pdf
http://www.jogg.info/32/bird.pdf

it's also a pretty good excuse to get out your Benty Grange Helmet....
Thanks- interesting links! Its a really interesting period.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
That sounds great, do you have a base or certain ancient villa/monument that you are focussing your activities on?

Not as yet as most sites in our area are underground, but we are working on getting access to a very exciting site. We have numerous Roman towns in the vicinity and a great many villa sites plus a couple of hill forts plus a Badon hill site with an area called battle plain at the bottom and a legend of a buried saxon army. Also lots of Roman industry such as salt mining and quarries.

if you can drag yourselves a tiny bit north you are in the territory of the Pecsaetna, there seems to be historic and dna evidence of a remnant Roman population in that area. The Lutudarum paper, presents the historic case, the Bird paper the dna case. The Pecsaetna are commonly assumed to be Anglian in origin but there seems to be no conclusive evidence for this;

Fantastic links and not a million miles away.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Fascinating period - best of luck with the new group.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks for all the positive comments, working on the website and Facebook page tonight.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Look forward to seeing this Richard! All the best wit hit!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks Byron, by the way cracking helmet (just seen it on facebook)
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Thanks! I was pretty chuffed with it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Congrats and welcome to the joys of the "sub-Roman" period Smile
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
Welcome and good luck with your new group! Should you be in need of assistance or information, don't hesitate to ask.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thank you Robert, website will be up early next week.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
The groups website is now live at therataemilitia.weebly.com its simple at first with room to grow. We also have a facebook page
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum