Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman street names
Did the Romans name the streets in their cities? I knew major roads like the Via Appia were named after their creators, but I didn't expect normal city streets had names. But then I came across this inscription found in Ephesus (emphasis mine):

Quote:Reservations on columns in the area of the latrines in the Vedius bath-gymnasium.
(a) Of the bankers, three spaces.
(b) Of the hemp-workers from the Servilius stoa.
© Of the astiopolist (meaning unknown) wool-dealers.
(d) Of those from Branchiane street.
(e) Of the linen-weavers.
(f) Of the guild of basket-makers (?).

Reservations in the Latrine of the Vedius Gymnasium

I don't know what to make of "Branchiane." Does that sound like a personal name?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Streets in Rome certainly had names, and probably elsewhere too - most of them seem to refer to a famous person who lived there, or some notable local industry or landmark. Vicus Sandalarius, between the Forum and the Subura district, was the 'street of the cobblers' (or 'sandlemakers'), while Clivus Pullius was the 'slope of Pullius' - the people of the latter were named the clivumpullenses, apparently. Part of the Clivus Orbius was later renamed the Vicus Sceleratus ('street of infamy') after Tullia murdered her father there... Take a look at the 'roads, streets and bridges' section of Platner & Ashby for more.

Many Roman cities adopted the traditional named streets of the army camp - Via Decumana and so on - while others were probably named, as at Rome, after the most prominent local residents or industries.

As for 'Branchiane' - not sure! Branchia is the gills of a fish, I think...? Perhaps the name of an area of small branching alleys (if that isn't a false etymology!)?...
Nathan Ross
Quote:As for 'Branchiane' - not sure! Branchia is the gills of a fish, I think...? Perhaps the name of an area of small branching alleys (if that isn't a false etymology!)?...
Pfft, nothing more culturally appropriate than a bit of wild and probably inaccurate speculation when it comes to Latin word origins! They'd be disappointed if you didn't quite frankly.

I'm afraid I can't directly contribute, but I do recommend Alan Kaiser's Roman Urban Street Networks (2011, London, Routledge), which discusses all sorts of terminology regarding Roman street names and usage, and is bang up to date.
I know in carthage there was a "Vicus Argentoratum" (street of the silver smiths)
Thanks for all the replies! I had no idea they named their streets.

PS. Regarding Branchiane Street, it might be Greek, as Ephesus was Greek-speaking.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman provincial town discovered street by street ParthianBow 0 815 09-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow