Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Official Multiplayer Game
I've been thinking of having some of the Gamers here on RAT get together for a Multiplayer Game. I have a few possible games in mind, but feel free to add some other suggestions. We could always also have 2 games running at once. I want to see, however, how much interest there is in it first.

Here are a few suggestions:
Rome: Total War (Barbarian Invasion/Alexander are also possibilities)
Europa Universalis III
Crusader Kings II
Medieval II: Total War

And of course when it is released, Rome II Total War and EU4 are also possiblities.

Of Course though, we'd have to work out dates to play. Work and Timezones will obviously interfere, but I'm thinking Fridays would be best for everyone.

What do you all think?
I think we'll need someone to coordinate this. Fun idea though, and if we want to make this into a friendly competition, methinks I can find some way to sponsor that with prizes.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yeah I noticed there haven't been any games since 2009 or so. An incentive is always fun, but I don't think it's necessary.

On TWC we have an Official EU3 Game, but that's a much larger Forums. We have official Games for most of the Companies that have thier own Forum, that aren't TWC.
Can I also suggest the rome and gladius mod for Mount and Blade. Noone seems to know about this game but it is PHENOMONAL and would be the equivalent of everyone here being their own centurion
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Great idea Flavius Big Grin
Vinícius Alexandre Rodrigues
Thanks guys, also Mount and Blade is awesome, I'm waiting for the Imperium Graecorum Heraklian Byzantine (600's AD) Mod to come out. Unfortunately I never bought mount and blade though.

I'd also like to suggest the Death and Taxes mod For Europa Universalis III, or MEIOU for EU3.

Also, there is the Invasio Barbarorum Late Roman Mod for Rome Total War.
I don't do these games but my son might. I've heard him mention Rome Total War.
Caesar audieritis hoc
Yeah most adults generally aren't into gaming.

I can set this up easily through steam/hamachi. If we set a launch date and pick a specific game we'd be good to go. We'd have to share our steam names of course for invites and stuff, but the specifics can be dealt with later.

I'm up for maybe some time in december?

I can always play EU3 or RTW as well. I could probably even scrounge up Age of Empires if anyone wants that.

EU3 and RTW are rather cheap on steam if you don't have them but would like to play. You can even use them with mods installed, through hamachi. Hamachi and steam are both free, albeit downloads can take a ffew hours depending on your internet. My DL speed sucks :lol:
well, i've got RTW on steam Smile haven't EU3 tho
have age of empires 3, but not on steam, so hamachiwould be the way.
anyways, great idea, magister militum
Vinícius Alexandre Rodrigues
Quote:Yeah most adults generally aren't into gaming.
Ah, but I know quite a few who are!! Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Alright seems like we should go with RTW so far.
I don't have AOE3.

@Robert
Very True
Is there still any interest in this?

There's a few specific things that will have to be done to play:

1. Get steam. It's free and you can run pretty much any program through it. The Games on steam you still have to buy though, games you have can be added as "Install non-steam Game."

2. Download Hamachi, this will allow you to play most games without having to forward the ports on your Internet Router. Also free.

3. Obviously make sure you have a copy of the game we're gonna play.

Currently narrowed down to:

Rome Total War/Rome Total War BI (possibly with mods)
Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind with 5.2 Beta Checksum (possibly with mods)
Crusader Kings II (With Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome Expansions which I will be buying on monday).

EDIT: For Mods you will need an RAR opener such as 7zip or WinRAR, both of which are free (just hit close when it says the 40-day free trial is up.) if we decide to use a mod.

EDIT2: If we get at least 4 players (for sure) then I'll clean up this thread and set up game rules, etc. Currently me and Alexandre are the only players.
  • EU3 with all the good expansions (with Divine wind being the most recent) is about 20 Dollars. I can link you to the free Beta Checksum.
  • Rome Total War v1.5 and Barbarian Invasion 1.6 come together in RTW: Gold on steam for about 20 Dollars.
  • Crusader Kings II, being more expensive, is on sale. So it's best to catch it on sale and buy the Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome expansions.