Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Excavations at Dura-Europos bargain at oxbow
If only I'd waited a few mounths, recommended
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/the-exca...t-vii.html
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Wow. My hardback cost nine times as much.......Highly recommended.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Indeed, this is a thoroughly excellent book. Umming and ahhing over buying it (I have a library copy) but really this is a must read for everyone here.
Thanks! Bought.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Not my particular period of interest, but of such significance to Roman military archaeology in general that I had no choice but to pull the trigger...thanks for the notice!
Alexander
Ditto - thanks for the heads up!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Bother - that's the second time they've got me with that! An excellent reference nonetheless and well worth the discounted price.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Is the paperback an updated version or an exact re-print of the hardcover? How durable is the softcover? At 456 pages, will the binding hold the pages securely, if a crease appears on the spine, or will the pages fall out?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Reprint, bound soft cover held securely, very good value Confusedmile:
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
At that price you could probably pay to have it hardbound and still come out ahead.
Thanks. Smile

Had been eyeing the hardcover since I first heard of it, but hadn't considered the softcover, but at this price, will add it to a mid-December order.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Quote:Reprint, bound soft cover held securely, very good value Confusedmile:
Thanks. Smile

Had been eyeing the hardcover since I first heard of it, but hadn't considered the softcover, but at this price, will add it to a mid-December order.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Quote:At that price you could probably pay to have it hardbound and still come out ahead.
Good idea. Won't have to make the decision for years, but would hope there will still be a choice of professional book binders a decade later.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Quote:
Robert Matthew post=325700 Wrote:At that price you could probably pay to have it hardbound and still come out ahead.
Good idea. Won't have to make the decision for years, but would hope there will still be a choice of professional book binders a decade later.

I would think at least in my experience that you'd save a considerably amount on the price of a new hardbound copy, but you may also consider that many new books on sale at Oxbow are remainders so stocks will eventually run out and although it may be availble from others for some time not at this price.
Ivor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dura-Europos: Crossroads of Antiquity D B Campbell 14 4,124 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Last Post: starman2012
  Bargain Books From Oxbow Vindex 1 1,635 12-15-2011, 03:29 AM
Last Post: Cheyenne
  "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! Virilis 25 7,494 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Last Post: C. Apollonius Priscus