Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashik\'s Crypt frescoes
In Nossov's book "Gladiator" he shows some small photos of the frescoes from Ashik's Crypt at Panticapaeum on the Black Sea, depicting some types of gladiator seen nowhere else. Does anyone have any larger, higher-resolution and preferably color photos of these frescoes?
Pecunia non olet
I have not seen the book by Nosov, but I know which Ashik’s crypt you are talking about (there are many). Unfortunately, the archaeology of the 19th century was much like contemporary treasure hunting. That crypt was unearthed, and then it re-filled with earth again. And no one to this day could find that crypt again. All we have are the drawings of Ashik himself (photography did not exist back than). They are in color, but I will not be able to find them right away.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
So Ashik was the name of the discoverer? Nossov's book gives only the name and the site, no other details. Yes, I would very much like to see the color pictures if you can find them. These are the lightest gladiators I have ever seen depicted, and the single trident is as elaborate as those cococted by film designers.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:So Ashik was the name of the discoverer?

Yes, Anton Baltazarovich Ashik, a Russian archaeologist, Serbian by birth.

Quote:I would very much like to see the color pictures if you can find them.

It looks like I will not be able to get the color pics, unfortunately. Here is the report about the excavation of that crypt by Ashik's himself, but the illustrations are black&white only. Confusedad:
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)