Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BRASSO is my FRIEND? What other things do use?
The plates look like raw castings(sand cast?)to me and have never been smoothed and polished, I would suggest taking it apart and filing everywhere you can with small files to get rid of the rough surface effect(Rat tails etc) and then polishing the surface with different grades of emery cloth untill smooth, with a final polish using a course metal polish such as autosol, after that brasso or duraglit wadding will be fine to keep it bright... it will take some effort but the results should be worth it... you could add some better hidge pins with turned finials, if you have a small pillar drill or even a decent hand drill with a clamp or vice to hold it you can turn these up from brass rod fairly easily...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
BRASSO is my FRIEND? What other things do use? - by Crispianus - 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM