Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmet found near Canterbury
Quote:How interesting. Looks like one of those 'Mannheim' Coolus jobs ...
I think you're right, Nathan. I posted in haste. It's clearly not pointy enough to be a pukka Montefortino (and not classy enough to be a Mannheim) -- I'd call it a Coolus.

Quote:Does anybody know of the whereabouts of that helmet and whether it has been published?
It's only just been found, Jens. It's being conserved in the BM.

BBC have jumped into the fray, with a video clip, no less:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-20594096
And The Guardian has Brian's photo: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/03...ure-troves (Or does Brian have the Guardian's photo? Wink )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:BBC have jumped into the fray, with a video clip, no less:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-20594096
And The Guardian has Brian's photo: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/03...ure-troves (Or does Brian have the Guardian's photo? Wink )
Oh dear, the Guardian referred to it as 'Celtic', score one to the BBC. I was actually very impressed with the BBC's coverage of the find over the course of the day, with the newsreader/interviewer generally being informed in advance that there was movement to and fro across the channel prior to the conquest.
Quote:I can see rivet holes for cheek pieces!

Or just holes, maybe? I think those simple Coolus-types are believed to have just had a chin strap. Like this sort of thing:

[Image: CIMG15041.jpg]

Quote:(and not classy enough to be a Mannheim) -- I'd call it a Coolus.

Yes, it does look a lot like the original Coolus from the Marne. I've always seen the ones without cheek pieces referred to as Mannheim types, but that could just be muddled terminology!
Nathan Ross
I think it's a montefortino myself, the crest knob may well ave gone.
Looks pretty rounfd to just be a hole!
I understood there to be a very cheap mass produced montefortino produced to equip Caesars Legions recruited in the provinces and Gaul? One of it's ID' was the single riviet for the cheekpiece rather than the traditional 2?
The neck guard on this is closer to a montefortino than other coolus types anyway.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The hole could be a rivet hole for the chinstrap. Otherwise, I agree it looks more Montefortinoish than Coolusy.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:It's only just been found, Jens. It's being conserved in the BM.

Duncan,

I was referring to the other helmet from Bognor Regis found in 2008, apologies for attempting to highjack your discussion.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I think that with the decorative edging it says more towards it being a Montefortino possibly a B or C, in fact it has also been mentioned in the metal detecting fraternity that the top point has also been found if so this should give us more info' about it.
Brian Stobbs
Here is a larger image of the right side that most definitely shows that a hole has been made for purpose on both sides similar to some Montefortino type C.
[attachment=6006]Helmet-from-Kent1Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Very Interesting. Any word on its metalurgic (spelling?) composition?
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
I think that this is a Montefortino helmet.

Here from the side:

[attachment=6013]Canterbury3.jpg[/attachment]

and here an other helmet of Montefortino:

[attachment=6014]CCI06122012_00000.JPG[/attachment]

Ritchie Pogo
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cohors-praetoria.eu">www.cohors-praetoria.eu
I think that this is a Helmet of type Mannheim, because the edge of the helmet is curved upwards. A typical feature of a Mannheim helmet.
It also fits perfectly into this time.

[attachment=6015]Canterbury3.jpg[/attachment]

We should wait for further results.
If a helmet knob is found, then we have a Montefortino ahead.

A typological classification is difficult, since there are always mixed forms.

Just yesterday I saw two helmets from France, which were restored in Mainz. There are mixed types of Niederbieber and Intercisa.

Ritchie Pogo
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cohors-praetoria.eu">www.cohors-praetoria.eu
Quote:Just yesterday I saw two helmets from France, which were restored in Mainz. There are mixed types of Niederbieber and Intercisa.

I presume that these are the helmets found in Poitiers? Would you have any pictures available or be able to describe them in more detail? That would be much appreciated!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
I know that this topic is more focused on the helmet (that looks like a “Coolus” to me...I am thinking at the one from Breuvannes, for example).

But, does anyone know if there are other images of the brooch ?

As Mr. Stobbs has already written, after a first look at the image with the helmet, the brooch seems like a Nauheim type. Perhaps can be attributed to the “Nauheim I.1” (Demetz 1999) / “Nauheim 5a” (Feugère 1985).
This brooch in the north of the Alps marks the beginning of the La Tène D (generally, the last quarter of the 2nd century BC) and disappear around the middle Augustan era. In Italy this model arrives a little late, a terminus ante quem for this brooch in the south of the Alps is an exemplar from Talamone (Genio militare depot. An interesting discovery in Britain indeed...

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
It looks to me as if it has holes on both sides for a leather chin strap. IT'd be interesting to see f this really is a mix of two different types of helmet. A fascinating find either way.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
Quote:I know that this topic is more focused on the helmet (that looks like a “Coolus” to me...I am thinking at the one from Breuvannes, for example).

But, does anyone know if there are other images of the brooch ?

As Mr. Stobbs has already written, after a first look at the image with the helmet, the brooch seems like a Nauheim type. Perhaps can be attributed to the “Nauheim I.1” (Demetz 1999) / “Nauheim 5a” (Feugère 1985).
This brooch in the north of the Alps marks the beginning of the La Tène D (generally, the last quarter of the 2nd century BC) and disappear around the middle Augustan era. In Italy this model arrives a little late, a terminus ante quem for this brooch in the south of the Alps is an exemplar from Talamone (Genio militare depot. An interesting discovery in Britain indeed...

Thank you for this comment; I'd be very interested in the brooch too.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help save Roman Museum in Canterbury from closing Caballo 34 5,870 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Last Post: LvpvsRomanvs