Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marines controling/occupying Isca Dumnoniorum
Hi all.
Another barnstorming suggestion from the man in the westcountry....could Exeter have been garrisoned by Marines due to the close proximity of Topsham....proven military estsablishment/ possible port as has been thought for a while now. This would make sense so as to allow Legionaries to be posted/put about areas and forts in the area thus allowing for a smaller base to be built.
I am just a humble reenactor with a greaty interest in the area i live so my knowledge is limited. Could anyone back me up or shoot me down in flames on this suggestion. There is no evidence so this is speculation.
Kevin
It has been suggested for a while now that the area from the Fortress to the docks was a militarised area going by existing finds/excavatioins.
Kevin
Can't back you up with any evidence, but, it would seem logical that a fort close
to a port would hold sway over it!
Wouldn't do to have trouble importing itself right under your nose!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Why Topsham? Given the context of a port in Caerleon and how far up river it is, very close to the fortress it would make more sense for it be where the Quay is in Exeter itself. Very close to the Cathedral (built on Roman foundations). The modern quay in topsham itself is just down from St. Margaret's Church.
Would there be need for a meaningful garrison the other than to keep order? Once the region was secured and any insurgency defeated, why waste time and money on keeping the population under a jackboot. I personally think that the fortress in Exeter would be a bit like Wyvern Barracks is today. Headquarters of the local armed forces, and perhaps transit accommodation for the movement of troops or sailors coming ashore for a few days before going back out to sea. Maybe even a logistical outpost.
Peter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Port at Caerleon (Isca) Vindex 0 1,339 08-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Interesting Caerleon (ISCA) Dig sulla felix 7 2,423 01-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Medicus matt