Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cingulum - which is the most accurate version?
I was wondering if anyone can help me with finding the best/ most historically accurate 'off the shelf' version of a first century AD legionary's cingulum (Military belt, not the balteus for the scabbard) or at the very least the most acceptable one.

Looking through Deepeeka's catalogue I can't seem to find a suitable one, as the leather thongs are either too thick, too wide or too long. Any suggestions? Can some Deepeeka cingulum be modified for improvement?
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
Jorge Mambrillia makes affordable and decent ones.
See Armillum's website.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Can some Deepeeka cingulum be modified for improvement
Of course. But if you have to do much modification, it's probably better just to start with the plates and buttons and buckles, oh my, and just make it to fit you exactly. Once you remove some of those buckles and start re-riveting, you may find that the cast plates are pretty brittle. I had that task, and it's not for sure that every plate will survive the new rivets...one little angle missed and snap! off goes a corner.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Als check Armamentaria. They have a wide variety of beltplates and can supply them all mounted if you like. They also have simple concentric rings version which seems to be okay.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Salve,

Armillum makes great stuff but they are a small shop and you will have to be patient as far as delivery goes. Look at some of their kit stuff as well, I got a belt I am very pleased with (even though I have not had time to assemble it it yet). Hope that is helpful.
Thanks guys! I wish I had gotten round to doing this before I rather stupidly purchased a Deepeeka cingulum that I had been assured was accurate. But then again that was before I joined this forum.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.