Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1930s Lorica - Movie Prop
Interesting MGM prop from the 1930s. One can see the influence of Trajan's column!

MGM Greek / Roman Armor with Sword

[Image: 3_o.jpg]
Similar, if not identical to these in fact!

A picture worthy of a caption competition!!!

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Caption?

"How dare you call us 'Hollywood Romans.' We'll teach you!"

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
"Get your hands off me you damned, dirty Roman!"

I think I saw those loricas in "King of Kings," too.
Pecunia non olet
Saw a still picture of the movie "Agora" (which I have been really been looking forward to watching) and saw the guardmen holding those dark brown stamp-sized scutums which must have been used in Ben Hur too. Yikes, it's beyond anachronism Wink !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Director: "All right, you Romans, look fierce, or no bathroom break, and back to working the tourists at the Colosseum."
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Saw a still picture of the movie "Agora" (which I have been really been looking forward to watching)
Don't. The story has potential (perhaps), but the movie turned out to be a distortion of history. Don't expect to see any late Romans, nor proper attitue. It's more like a modern movie about religious extremism set in the past. Too bad, it could have been so much more.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Virilis post=326410 Wrote:Saw a still picture of the movie "Agora" (which I have been really been looking forward to watching)
Don't. The story has potential (perhaps), but the movie turned out to be a distortion of history. Don't expect to see any late Romans, nor proper attitue. It's more like a modern movie about religious extremism set in the past. Too bad, it could have been so much more.

That`s what I was afraid of :unsure: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
It looked to me as if the armour and costumes of the soldiers in Agora were borrowed from HBO's Rome. They were identical. It was such a missed opportunity to show the late Roman empire, and how it differed from the earlier Republican Rome that we are all used to seeing in the movies. Instead it was the same old predictable depiction of the era. I'm afraid film makers are too scared to show how things actually looked like in late antiquity because it goes against what everybody thinks the Romans should look like. Too bad the director made it worse by claiming it was accurate.
Dafydd

Tantae molis erat Romanam condere gentem.

What a lot of work it was to found the Roman race.

Virgil, The Aeneid.
What was even more sad about 'Agora' is that if there is one place where there is a decent amount of evidence for late Roman clothing it is Egypt!! Somehow they managed to show none of it at all.

Indeed the Roman troops wore the same gear as the series 'Rome'.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Interesting. It's nice to see that back in the 30's they were at least using original art as inspiration, which is more than can be said about most modern films.
Quote:It looked to me as if the armour and costumes of the soldiers in Agora were borrowed from HBO's Rome. They were identical. It was such a missed opportunity to show the late Roman empire, and how it differed from the earlier Republican Rome that we are all used to seeing in the movies. Instead it was the same old predictable depiction of the era. I'm afraid film makers are too scared to show how things actually looked like in late antiquity because it goes against what everybody thinks the Romans should look like. Too bad the director made it worse by claiming it was accurate.

I have to agree with this statement. Since I am new to discovering the Roman Empire, researching and putting together my own armor... Over the past year I have had to "De-Hollywoodize" my thinking! I would see things on this site and others and say... "NO WAY!" Only to realize that Hollywood had more influence on me and my life then I had thought.

People tend to believe what they see. And if what they see is not at all accurate... then the truth and the facts are distorted and people end up believing a lie. WHich in many cases I see that fine line between the Historians, the Archeologists, the museums and the reenactors. ANd how each "New" unearthing or discovery distorts what has already been found.

As an artist and a sculptor, what I carve or sculpt is from my perspective. So... how much art can you really use as truth or fact? As an artist who does Maritime History on the Great Lakes, I want to remain as historically accurate and precise as I can. But that is also challenged by the materials I am sculpting and my level of ability and resources for accuracy.

As an artist and a Sculptor... when I look at the Roman art in columns and tombstones, I am still challenged to believe that some of the things that have been interpreted are truly what the artist was depicting.

http://www.northernmichiganartist.webs.com <----- To see what I do with Maritime Art on the Great Lakes. (I will be doing some Roman art like this soon. Any suggestions?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My inherited Roman helmet, possibly a film prop? Julia 10 3,443 06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Julia