Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask or face guard in late roman period
Quote:That's the chicken and the egg, because now you seem to be saying that face masks were present but Ammianus 'just so happened' not to be describing armour that day.
Quote:What's wrong with that? You're not seriously suggesting that, every time he mentions Roman heavy cavalry, Ammianus has to give us an itemised inventory of their equipment, are you?
For sure I am not! ;-) He does seem to have no qualms doing that a lot of time when watching persian cavalry though..

Quote:And Julian's oration to Constantius, which is actually describing the victory over Magnentius at Mursa in 351.
Quote: I don't have that text, isn't that the same occasion? The parade in Rome?
Quote:No, the parade in Rome was in 357. The text is Julian, Oration 1, 37B-38A.

Well that IS new information to me, I missed that one. That doubles the evidence, and is the first description of 'real' Roman cavalry with facemasks.

Thanks Nathan!

Quote:The description of the armoured cavalry comes straight after the account of the battle of Mursa. The oration itself is dated to 355, and so predates the parade in Rome described by Ammianus. Julian is quite clear that he is describing a large body of troops equipped in this way, not just a few individuals dressed up to impress the public!
Thank you! Now that's what I call serious evidence!

That loud scraping noise you hear is me changing my position about Late Roman cavalry using facemasks. :woot:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Face mask or face guard in late roman period - by Robert Vermaat - 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 844 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Period Pteruges? Oisin 2 1,607 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Face mask helmet on eBay FlaviusCrispus 4 1,392 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous