Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face mask or face guard in late roman period
Quote:I'm no expert in earlier 'sports' helemts, but in that case, can such a mask be attached to any helemt? I was wondering about that, because if you want an 'integral' helmet, you need a special helmet for that purpose, right?

Yes, I think a 'special helmet' is what we're looking for here. The majority of masked 'sports' helmets were clearly made as such - the Crosby Garret helmet for example - rather than just adding bits to a normal helmet. The front and back parts could not be worn by themselves - they were two halves of a one-piece helmet.

There are later examples of these - this 'Amazonian' one for example, or this one - usually dated 2nd-3rd century, although I still don't know what the rationale for the dating is.

Clearly, a man wearing something like that would actually appear to be a living statue, with no poetic licence required!

Meanwhile, there's this odd item. I can't tell from the description whether it's supposed to be based on an original piece or some kind of fantasy item (what does 'a possible replica Germanic bronze Parade Face helmet, produced in the style of the Roman "Hippika Gymnasia" (Cavalry Sports) helmets' actually mean??), but it does slightly resemble the helmet on the Pergamum reliefs!
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Face mask or face guard in late roman period - by Nathan Ross - 02-22-2013, 06:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What type of Montefortino Helmet is suitable for Late Republic/Gallic Wars period? Corvus 4 835 11-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Period Pteruges? Oisin 2 1,603 12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Face mask helmet on eBay FlaviusCrispus 4 1,388 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous