Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman marching fort near Chester nearer reality
I thought this would have been posted about already, but I can't find a post. If I'm repeating one, my apologies.

Paul Harston and Deva Victrix plan to build, using traditional methods, a new Roman marching fort near Chester, UK. A local businessman has come up with £200,000 to buy the site, a former quarry. It's great news! Read about it here.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Thanks! It was posted in Roman Army Talk on Facebook. There is not really much data I could find, like a website outlining the plans, so I hope this thread is used by initiators to fill us in a bit more. It seems there is to be a vicus and Iron age dwelling, too !!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
bit more here;
http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/115786/...shire.aspx
Ah thanks! The plan as explained does contain some very worrying aspects, ones that caused the initial bankrupcy of Archeon, but perhaps these are just for publicity sake and best left undiscussed.

It does seem a lot of money to have to pay for a disused wasteland, though. I do hope they get the price down a good bit.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
On the other hand, knowing the reasons for failure helps the rest of us avoid those kinds of problems. No one wanted to talk about the failure of Lafe, for example, so how do you know you aren't repeating the problem?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Well, the reasons not to discuss it "out in the open" is mainly that A. sometimes the initiators do have an issue that previously caused problems in an other project well covered and B. sometimes a given theme is heavily harped on to gain public acceptance, but takes up only a very small part of the budget. Adressing A. publicly would sell them short, adressing B. would cause akward questions being raised.

What is very important in any kind of themepark scheme is to have a good earning model, with capital expenditure balanced against the proposed income. A good insight into what REALLY sells the tickets is vital for the allocation of your funds. When we first started with Noviolocus, we too wanted to build a full size Limes castellum (cohort) with a vicus and a Batavian village, as being unique in Europe it would generate a LOT of visitors. However, it turned out that the investment needed would be over 5 million euro for the castellum alone and the capital cost would be swallowing up a large portion of the earnings. So now we have decided on the villa-complex, small temple, a Batavian village of a size we have archeological evidence for and a small vexillatio fort for a century. The later being much cheaper to build then a castellum, it still makes an imposing sight and allows us to tell the military story. By reducing it to a more managable scale, we also need far less staff and still have a nice story to tell. We could now build the themepark for a little over two million and need 40.000 visitors a year to be economicly viable, with some extra income from the B2B activities in the villa.

I have already extended the offer to share any and all experience we have gathered so far, also by visiting a good number of open air musea on the continent Smile I really hope their park goes well and becomes reality :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
All,

I'm one of the directors of the project working for Paul Harston, and I will gladly answer any of your questions about this project. Robert, my apologies for not getting in contact last week but my day job had me a bit stretched :errr: You have very generously offered the benefit of your knowledge and experience a number of times, and believe me I intend to milk you for all you're worth :twisted: Seriously though I will give you a call during the week for a chat.

Valete,

Nerva.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
[off topic] No one wanted to talk about the failure of Lafe
I think this was to avoid getting into "he said/she said" endless arguments, and to protect the dignitas of the Castra, and so as not to needlessly injure already scalded emotional sensibilities.[/off topic]

Info about this years upcoming event on the same site:
http://www.legioviferrata.com/ad43/
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I do not know anything about the failure of Lafe, but very often these schemes fail for not getting the long term economics and all that goes with that sorted up front. This is mainly making realistic estimates of amount of visitors, the income they generate and the operational costs of running such a facility. Often these schemes are based on the enthusiasm of but a few who wish to realize a dream, not taking into account mundane things. It is one thing to build it, it is another to keep it running and to keep attracting paying visitors.
My tip is always to first make a good estimate on how much money you realistically can generate at the given location (as this is very dependent on where your site is in relation to cities and motorways) and base your maximum project expenditure on that. You can always expand if things go really well. This is one of the main reasons we scaled down the way we did, by the way. When we had to find a new site, the whole equation changed.
For Chester, there seem to be professionals involved, that does really help a lot .So chances are very high this will become a great park :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Salvete Omnes!

Our intention is not to create a 'full' sized Roman fort, we are building a fortlet. Here are some images of what we plan to build. These are by Graham Sumner who we commissioned to produce concept images of the fortlet.

[Image: wp6efdd30f_06.png]

[Image: wp792fafaa_06.png]

Valete,

Nerva.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Looks BRILJANT :woot: !

Numerus castellum by the looks of it, with two turmea throw in for good measure? Impressive turnout if you get that put up!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
As I said when the questionnaires went out, I will do whatever I can to help, in any way.
Even if it's just an injection of common sense occasionally! Tongue

The image reminds me a little of my rainy visit to Ardoch a year or so ago!

http://www.ancient-scotland.co.uk/site.php?a=159
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hello Robert

The painting was based on the Flavian fort site at Crawford in Scotland

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/...47_200.pdf

Some buildings were omitted to match in with the brief. The background of course is meant to look like the modern site setting.

As the location is only a few miles away from where I live I really hope this project gets off the ground, as it will provide an exciting opportunity to follow its construction and development.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Haha, I was right, I believe. I just read the description of the numerus fort used as a model and it does seem likely it was a combined infantry and cavalry fort in fase three. This would be a very good choice by the planners of this park! I did not really miss all that many buildings. Vital is to put the horreum up, as that has very nice moneymaking capacity. Also, the presence of a fabrica for metalworking is suggested, that is wonderfull too.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
movement..... :grin:
http://www.newsnorthwales.co.uk/news/149...-hope.aspx

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chester Fort Plans and Progress Caballo 33 6,642 07-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Chester Roman Festival 2004 Anonymous 4 1,776 07-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Anonymous