Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges for Classics
Can you guys help me with finding a good college with both an Undergrad and a Grad program for Classics? Preferably one that offers scholarships too, we can't afford tuition and I have no scholarships.

Thanks, MMFA
Hi Evan,

Could you tell us what part of what country you live in? There are posters from all over the world here, and the situation is very different depending on where one lives.

If you live in the US, you probably want to focus on public universities in your home state, or one that grants reciprocal residency rights to residents of your home state. In Canada we can study in any province and pay the same tuition as locals, but I think that someone from Montana (for example) has to pay extra to study in California.

Sean
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Yeah that's how it works here in the US. Gotta pay more out-of-state usually but a lot of scholarships will cover the cost.
I think its a little early to be looking at post-grad programmes just yet, let's focus on the here and now first. Smile

Basically, I don't know much about the US system at the under-graduate level bar from what I've learnt a) from professors who teach/have taught there or b) my friends who have studied there (Yale, Stanford, a few from Harvard and Princeton and two from Brown) so I can pass on stuff from that.

At this stage, just follow the money I guess? Find a place with a strong basis in the languages and traditional philological training if you can, but don't worry too much.
Jass
I "googled" "best college classics department" and stumbled on a forum discussion from collegeconfidential DOT com. Very interesting - ranking by members - private vs. public, east vs. west, who's good for what (museum-work prep), best published..

Check it out...
Cheryl Boeckmann
thanks guys.

Also, I'm doing classics for the History, not the Language.
I plan on going to school here in the US and doing my graduate work in one of your fancy European colleges hopefully.
Quote:thanks guys.

Also, I'm doing classics for the History, not the Language.
I plan on going to school here in the US and doing my graduate work in one of your fancy European colleges hopefully.

I gathered that, and that's admirable, hence my trying to help by telling you to emphasise languages, the US programmes aren't as rigorous in general but the biggest problems tend to be in this area, its not just about learning to read but also having a good philological grasp and possessing skills like textual criticism, epigraphy, paleography etc. Believe me, this skill is important to those on the history side to, you might not necessarily need to be able to tell the difference between 8th and 6th century poetic Greek but its very useful. Its what the larger universities there like Harvard, Princeton etc prioritise to if you're looking at the long run for graduate work.

Like I said, don't worry, follow the money to some good schools, work had, take advantage of the US broad system to learn the foreign languages, historical methodology etc that you'll need and remember to have fun.

P.S I know what you think you want to do now, but you might be surprised how that can change! I first went to university having just taught myself Latin and Greek, intending to focus on the middle republic from a social pov, using inscriptions, Plautus etc...well I very quickly changed my mind! Since then, years have passed, I've met and worked with/under some of the greatest names in the field and just can't believe how much my interests have changed. Everything down to methodology. Same with my girlfriend actually and several of my friends

The Classics....they are incredible...I mean really...I can't say enough....its like you're continually in a state of awe and surprise reading and exploring some of this stuff. Also, feel free to ask for help if you need it for admissions statements etc concerning the Classics.
Jass
Like Lyceum, I have to back out. I don't know enough about the process of applying for undergraduate school in the US as an American citizen who needs scholarships. I can say that because of the American custom of euergitism, big expensive universities often have a lot of funding available.

I personally don't think numeric rankings of departments or universities mean much, especially for undergraduates. I would look for enthusiastic teachers, a reasonable variety of courses, and an environment you will enjoy living and working in. What that last means depends on you!

The way that American schools classify ancient history is interesting: most stick it in History and have a separate department of Classics which covers languages and sometimes archaeology. So you might have to explore university websites.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Thanks guys.

Also, yeah I know Latin but I have to go to college to learn Greek, they don't offer it outside of College here.

I'm focusing on Late Antiquity. Late Antiquity is my favorite subject and period in Roman History, particularly the 5th Century.

Thanks for all your advice.
Enroll in Germany. Except for North-Rhine-Westfalia and Bavaria University is free. In The latter two states´ tuitions are about 500.-€ per semester, which is still ridiculously little, IMHO.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Really? College is that cheap in Germany?

So that means my problem would only be getting to Germany...
Are there correspondence courses, and if so, is the price for foreigners still that cheap?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Really? College is that cheap in Germany?

So that means my problem would only be getting to Germany...

Yeah, luckily you speak fluent German. ;-) :-D No serious, are (some of) the courses in English, Christian?

Here at Ghent University (Belgium) it's somewhere between €550 and €600 for each year (September-June) if I'm not mistaken. I don't know how it works for foreign students.

By the way, could someone enlighten me about the terms college/undergrad/grad and other American notions and their +/- European equivalents? Do they correspond with university/bachelor/master? I have known this but it's somewhere far away in my memory (exams do terrible things with people, even if it's (ancient) history).
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:Are there correspondence courses, and if so, is the price for foreigners still that cheap?
I can't speak to Germany, but it still is in Austria (I am considering doing a doctorate in Austria). Several other European countries are still very generous that way. In contrast, Canada expects international students to pay for most of the cost of their education, so tuition for international students is around $20,000/year for 8 months of classes.
Nullis in verba

Demetrius is right, it's probably cheap in Europe because your governments sponsor your college education and help cover costs. America's government doesn't, in fact by 2025 it will cost 80,000 dollars a year average to go to college in the US.