Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memnon and the Trojan War...
I had thought that Memnon was a non-Homeric later addition to the tales, in the Aethiopis, but my memory is a little hazy. In The Allies of Priam's, reference section, #14:
Quote:[In the Odyssey (III.111-2) Nestor recalls the death of his son Antilochos who died by the spear of “the glorious son of shining Dawn,” (Od. IV.185-202) which is the epithet reserved for Memnon. Later in the Odyssey the Ethiopian warrior is mentioned by name as “great Memnon.” (Od. XI. 522)

When was Memnon introduced and was he originally an Indo-European that was later Africanized? Was the latter the product of news of civilizations south of Egypt in the Hellenistic period?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Memnon is indeed mentioned by name in Od.XI.522 as "Memnon dios" which would mean "splendid, noble, illustrious Memnon". I am not sure I understand the rest of the question.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
I understand the question, its also a silly one.

Just....just...stop throwing around terms like Indo-European without understanding them and go and look at articles on the Homeric vengeance theory, Adrian Kelly's is the best evaluation. See also any neo-analytical based criticism from Giannis Kakridis onwards.
Jass