Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How and why did peltasts use shields?
Hi guys, ok so my question is in the title but it probably needs a little explaining. So my understanding is that the peltasts job was to run ahead of the heavier hoplites, throw as many javelins as he could carry, and then run to safety before the enemy could reach him. Now if this is correct, and peltasts were solely used to exchange missiles with the enemy, while avoiding hand to hand combat, then why did they use shields?

At first the answer might seem obvious, they used there shields to defend against the incoming javelins, thrown by the enemy, but my question is how and why was this done? Javelins, unlike arrows, travel relatively slowly through the air, also their size makes them much easier to see. This means that, with room to move, a javelin can be dodged, or with enough skill and training, even caught. OTOH if you try to use a shield to block a javelin, it will most likely get stuck and render your shield useless after a single hit. A solution to this problem might be that peltasts tried to deflect or parry an incoming javelin with his shield, but I've never heard of anyone ever trying, so I can't say how effective a tactic it would be.

As usual I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions the rest of you guys have have to offer.
Do not forget that javelins where not the only missile weapons used on the battlefield. A Peltast would have to move into the range of slingers and archers as well.
Also even in loose formation, you would not be able to move out of the way of every javelin aimed your way, especially if more than a single one is coming your direction.
Though I only have tried this with blunt "javelins" you can "swat" a missile thrown at you aside if you angle the surface of your pelta in a way that the "point" does not impact at 90 degrees.
Lastly, even though a Peltast would not be supposed to engage in close combat, this doesn't me he could not be caught in it.
In contrast to an archer or slinger, he would have to advance a lot further against the enemy to get into effective range.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Good answer, Olaf!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes good points Olaf, thanks for sharing. I could very well be mistaken, but I thought that majority of ancient Greek missile troops were peltasts, and that archers and slingers were used but not in great numbers. Also I thought that although a peltast would have to come into relatively close range to throw his javelins, his lack of heavy armour made him very quick and difficult for the enemy hoplites to catch. The way you describe using a shield to SWAT away an incoming javelin is exactly what I meant by deflecting or parrying, so thanks for adding that.
Even though the majority of Greek missile troops were peltasts, they still came up against light troops from other countries. Mercenaries, incuding Persian archers and slingers from various islands were common.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
Question for Olaf. When you said that you have practiced swating away blunt javelins with your shield, what sort of shield were you using, i.e. what size and shape was it, was it strapped to your arm, or held with a central grip, etc. Thanks in advance.
The enemy would also have had peltasts or the equivalent out front, too. There must have been occasional hand-to-hand brawls between the light troops and a shield was seen as a necessity for close combat.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About light troops psiloi & peltasts hoplite14gr 0 1,325 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Peltasts and armor Danielmeijers 2 1,279 07-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Macedon
  Peltasts and chariots at Cunaxa Sean Manning 26 5,374 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Last Post: koechlyruestow