Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons
Hello, Escobar

The idea that Hunnic swords originated in China is news to me. When the early Huns (Hsiong-nu) lived along the Chinese border, they were strictly bowmen who carried an auxiliary "knife-sword," probably single sided (a "dao") and not a long-sword. Does Botalov give archaeological illustrations?

I believe Trousdale had the right angle. The long iron sword ("Jian") and scabbard slide was developed by the Saka east of the Urals. The early swords found at Filipovka (southeast of the Urals) had a blade configuration identical to some later Chinese versions. Note the central ridge in the pic below.
[attachment=12574]EarlySarmatianswords002.JPG[/attachment]

Long swords (and the scabbard slide) arrived in China in the 4th century BC, and I have an original set of jade fittings for such a sword. The fittings are small and decorated by a single "chilong" dragon (called a "hydra by Trousdale). These are late Eastern Zhao, the slide pictured below.
[attachment=12575]DSC03202_zpslpegqvgg_2015-07-27.jpg[/attachment]

By the Han Dynasty, 200 BC to AD 200, the swords had fittings with two chilongs, one large and a "baby." These later Chinese fittings have been found in a Roxolani grave in Bulgaria, as shown below.
[attachment=12576]Chatalka_NephriteScabbard_2015-07-27.jpg[/attachment]

The interaction between the Chinese and Saka/Sarmatians/Wusun/Yu-Chi was through friendly trade. The early Huns were enemies of all concerned; and it seems highly doubtful that the Chinese were trading swords to a dedicated foe. Trading silks, yes, but not weapons. As of yet, I have not seen a "Hunnic" or "Migration" sword with jade chilong fittings. Of course, there's always tomorrow. ;-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons - by Alanus - 07-27-2015, 02:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapons of 1st century Germans Czear12 3 2,483 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,405 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 68 34,401 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer