Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons
Quote:The longer-gripped ones in Figure. 55 are early, 1st Cent. BC to 1st Cent. AD. These are the swords described by Tacitus
Which numbers?
Quote:In fact, I hate the term "Sarmatian," It first shows up under Roman authorship very late, after the Iazyges and Roxlani formed a coalition in Valens/Valentinian era Pannonia.
This is wery broad term, like "Tartar" later. I am a descendant of group of Lithuanian Tartars, which are of "Zawołżańscy Tatarzy" (Beyond-Volga Tartars) origin. In XIII - XV century they were part of Golden Horde. Earlier they were from Uysyn of Iranian origin. Even in XVIII century we called our peple "Ushens". But for Poles, Lithuanians and other neighbors we are Tartars.

Quote:King Childric owed a beautiful example. So they are also Frankish. I hope you get the picture.
This sword showing clear Hunnic and Sarmatian influence, not roman gladius, nor Germanic long sword. From Sarmatian and Hunnic sword emerged medieval european sword.

Someone, but I don't remember who, claimed that influence from the Warring States can especially be seen in Saka weaponry, as he notes that the Saka method of securing their sword belt and accoutrements were borrowed from the Chinese Warring States. ; he further notes that even the pommels, the guards, the loops or scabbard slides, the scabbard tips which were often made of jade, were all directly imported from China. He also indicates that these weapons had been used by both the Skythians and Persians, and by Chinese chariot fighters and infantryman, the latter two probably referring to the Qin chariot fighter from Qin Shihuang Di's famous mausoleum (3rd century BC) near Xian and also to the suits of armour made of large lacquered leather plates with the high neck-guard found from a tomb at Suixian, Hubei, just north of the ancient kingdom of Chu, dated to the 5th century BC. You know what is this source and whether is reliable?

Messages In This Thread
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons - by Escobar - 07-27-2015, 06:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapons of 1st century Germans Czear12 3 2,483 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,405 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 68 34,401 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer