Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons
Hi, Evan
I was speaking of Migration Era swords, fundamentally the swords' fancy fittings as we see on King Childric's. I find it hard to dismiss the Alans, Huns, and Goths, in the development of this style of sword since its origin was Rather East of Rome ; and I place the Roman influence as Extremely Late. The Romans and Germans would not have known of cloisonné if the Sarmatians hadn't invented it. Same with the art of imbedding a multitude of stones in a singular piece.

[attachment=12577]DSC_0119.JPG[/attachment]
Sarmatian pendant, cloisonné and amber decorated, 4th Century BC.

In the 1960s, Karl Jettmar noted, "[Sarmatian art] is less concentrated in its artistic character, but makes up for this by introducing a polychrome effect, using champlevé and cloisonné." He then referred back to Rostovtzeff who described examples from Kelermes dating to the 6th century BC.

[attachment=12578]DSC_0111.JPG[/attachment]
Sarmatian sword pommel in the shape of coiled animals, 3rd to 1st Century BC. The stones are Bactrian turquoise.

W.F. Volbach, writing on The Polychrome Style in 1969, also reminds us, "Its earliest exponents were the peoples of the East, particularly those in the Iranian provinces..." It has an Oriental origin. I did not say Childric's sword had a Sarmatian or Hunnic blade; I said it was a beautiful example of a Migration Era sword, referring to its artistic style. I know you love your Roman stuff; but other than the blade, Childric's sword carries an Eastern influence. In the 1st Century AD, the Aorsi were bringing Indic jewels from India by camel train. In successive centuries, the jewels were imported up the Danube to Pannonia and Germany. Some of the finest cloisonné and embedded art appears to have been made in the Po Vally, a hotbed of the Taifali.

[attachment=12579]DSC_0117.JPG[/attachment]
A Migration Era brooch decorated with Indic and Bactrian jewels.

Returning to the subject of Chinese related Sarmatian swords, I picture a late Sarmatian Type I sword pommel. I made this after an original illustrated in Simonenko.
[attachment=12580]DSC_0114_2015-07-27.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Update on 1st Century Sarmatian Weapons - by Alanus - 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapons of 1st century Germans Czear12 3 2,483 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  Alanic Sarmatian influence in the 5th century Razzoriel 20 7,405 05-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Sarmatian (or Scythian) soldiers in the 1st century AD Marcus Mummius 68 34,402 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer