Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Five Republican Denarii Found
Maybe when I come over there in June, I should go through my mother-in-laws change. I'm pretty sure she used to shoot dice with Caeser.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
:-D Awesome!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Jay.

It is as you say the PAS system has indeed helped for many detectorists now have helped with many finds that would otherwise never have come to light.
Then like you also mention there is nothing too exciting about these coins unless of course there is a rare one amongst them, and the way any coin hoard is determined for date is by the latest coin in the hoard ie in this case appears to be the Vespasian AD 74.
I have to say I do like your Antony and all you need is to have a one of the Roman group that your in from his Actium series, and believe me there are still a tremendous amount of these around. The one I keep looking for when I search is Clodius Macer and definately his Pro-Prae-Africae galley types.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian. I actually do have a Legionary denarius from the same legion as the group I'm associated with, LEG II. I'm actively trying to get one of each legion but some are harder to find than others. I don't exclusively collect Antony but he's definitely my favorite. You can see all my coins here:
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery...?cat=18312

But perhaps my favorite right now is this rare lifetime portrait of Julius Caesar, minted between Feb-March 14, 44 BC. We can be so precise with the date because Caesar is DICT PERPETVO which happened in February of 44 BC and of course his death on March 15.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery...1470&pos=5

The Clodius Macer galley type is tough to find, and when they do come up for sale they aren't cheap! I also like his LEG III type with the eagle and standards which Antony copied for his legionary series.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Very nice collection, Jay. I'm not much into coins, however I could look at ancient coins all day.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT