Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Height of ancient walls?
Hi there!

I have always wondered how high were the ancient walls in general? I have seen some reconstruction pictures and they give the impression that there were over 10 meter high walls. Is there any way to know how high could the highest roman walls have been, for example the Deutz castle from the 4th c. AD? How about pther ancient walls? Thanks in advance!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
The Theodosian Walls of Constantinople peak at 9.32 meters (30 ft, 6 inches).

~ Theo
Jaime
This is the Appian Gate, south Rome.
[attachment=6918]AppianGate.jpg[/attachment]
These are the walls just along the road from the Via Appia and Appian Gate.
[attachment=6919]180986_500171227131_1154588_n.jpg[/attachment]

Not exactly sure, but these are well over 30 feet!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks guys!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
But were the walls of Rome originally this high, or were they extended upwards in the middle ages? Some reconstructions of Deutz castellum in particular have extremely high walls - I've often wondered what the evidence for that is.

The city wall of Trier (late 2nd-early 3rd C) was around 6m (19ft) high, based on a surviving doorway on the side of the Porta Nigra, which would once have led to a parapet walk.
Nathan Ross
Thanks Nathan, I have pondered these things too!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I think it is quite likely that the height of walls were temporarily raised during times of imminent danger. You read about cities using earth, building timber fortifications or even piling up rubble on occasion to raise the height of their walls. During Caesar's civil war, the city of Massila and the besiegers were in a contest to constantly build higher than their opponent. I believe when the Goths broke into Asia Minor, some cities piled rubble on top of their ancient Hellenistic-era walls.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Yes, I've read that in several accounts.
As for thew original height, not sure, but much of the work on these walls stems from the Roman period,
modifications were made to put gun ports in during the Napoleonic period though.
There was a museum in the gate house which showd the different phases of the walls.
I, of course, bought the books, but cannot seem to find my photos.... :-?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I think it is quite likely that the height of walls were temporarily raised during times of imminent danger. You read about cities using earth, building timber fortifications or even piling up rubble on occasion to raise the height of their walls. During Caesar's civil war, the city of Massila and the besiegers were in a contest to constantly build higher than their opponent. I believe when the Goths broke into Asia Minor, some cities piled rubble on top of their ancient Hellenistic-era walls.

Some accounts of the Siege of Orleans by Attila have the Romans arriving first and raising an "earthen barrier" around the city.

Also, the Walls of Constantinople were the highest set of fortifications in the classical era I think. Certainly the most powerful though.
Quote:During Caesar's civil war, the city of Massila and the besiegers were in a contest to constantly build higher than their opponent.

That's true. When Constantine tried to attack the same city in 310 his men apparently made their ladders too short and the assault failed. I wonder if the defenders had actually raised the height of the walls once again?

Surely the height of walls would depend on where they were, and who might be attacking them. A frontier fortress like Deutz/Divitia would only need to defend against barbarian groups lacking the tools or inclination for determined sieges. The walls of Rome, or Constantinople, were perhaps as much about prestige as defence - Aurelian, in c.270, may have wanted to demonstrate, as much to the citizens as to any hypothetical attackers, that imperial power could protect the city. Their height was intended to impress and overawe as much as to defend.

The Severan walls of York, on the other hand, still stand to a surviving cornice at 5m (around 16ft). There would have been a parapet above this, but the complete wall would not have much exceeded 20ft or so: a practical, rather than an impressive height.
Nathan Ross
Boniface was able to relieve a siege of Massilia in the 420's, so the walls were certainly beyond Visigothic Siege capabilities.
Actually, I understand the Roman walls at York only survive to a height of a few feet, to one of the brick courses at the max.

[attachment=6920]149129_448161727131_3753938_n.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6921]149129_448161732131_6465984_n.jpg[/attachment]
Interesting that wiki can have some info easily available.
Constantinople
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walls_of_Co...onstantine
Rome: Aurelian Walls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelian_Walls
Roma:Severan Walls
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servian_Wall

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah that was my impression of York, and that medieval walls were built on top of the old roman ones.
Quote:Actually, I understand the Roman walls at York only survive to a height of a few feet, to one of the brick courses at the max.

In most places, yes. Your pics show the famous multiangular tower at the west corner of the fortress. It's the eastern corner, diagonally opposite, that still survives to its original Roman height of 5m (this is according to Patrick Ottaway's Roman York, p.58).
Nathan Ross
Ahh, thanks. A local 'expert' said the walls were only original to the first 4 feet or so!
Thought it was dubious.. ;-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Height of Ancient Peoples? Paullus 13 6,346 01-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Anonymous