Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great
Isn't Dio 18.7 Perdikkas sorting out the oathbreakers or something? Can't recall.

OP I know what you mean, I was thinking about it a few weeks ago. It wasn't because Alexander and his Makedones didn't think they were *Greek* enough anymore, it was on the basis that the tribe was descended from a city who Medised or something. I can't fully recall, I think it was in Arrian. I can't really be bothered to hunt through my notes though, sorry. I'll probably take a look if you can't find it.

I also remember that historians find the event unlikely since a) by then Alex had dropped the revenge propaganda so he doubtless didn't care and b) it would have been an additional expenditure of manpower and time to eliminate people happy to accept his rule. Alex didn't make stupid decisions.

EDIT: Also, probably easy to find it as an example of ancestral fault in ancient Greece, so if you're looking through articles or something...
Jass

Messages In This Thread
Massacre of Greeks under Alexander the Great - by Lyceum - 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient synagogue mosaic may depict Alexander the Great Steven James 3 2,537 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix
  Who Killed Alexander the Great? D B Campbell 8 2,932 05-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Last Post: sitalkes
  Alexander the Great in 10 Minutes Narukami 0 1,433 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Narukami