Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walking long distances in full roman battle kit
Hi

I'm undertaking a bit of an adventure rapped around a fund raising charity event. Check out www.wallwalk.com.au
I know my kit is not worn properly in the photos, the belt wasnt long enough to go over the lorica but now has been modified and the sword hangs more vertically now. I'm after advice re long distance marching with shield etc. I'm coming from Australia to Hadrians to complete the task and cannot fail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm a keen roman military fan, ( have a number of axel Guttman geniune roman helmets in my collection) but have never been part of a re enactment group or worn roman kit before, any advice from my fellow enthusiasts would be greatly appreciated.
My advice, if of any worth, would be simply to continue doing the shorter walks you are already doing, but stack them together...walk what you consider a "long" walk one day, then the same distance the next and the next. It's not going to be the same as walking the long way across England, but make your training walks regardless of the weather. Of course, this time of year, it will be cooler in UK than AU, but still.

And be sure to acquire some wet weather gear. You'll need something to keep rain out. Bring spare socks. ;-)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Very good first-hand advice from several members here, (chafing) Lots of things to consider. Where will you sleep? Do you have a vehicle nearby to deliver you to a B&B along the route?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
March, march and march more. Make sure you know your kit, your kits fits you and it fits well. Your segmentata seems to sit pretty loose, which may get painful. Check different ways of mounting your scutum onto your back and start marching regularly with these as well. Know how to mount your helmet to your chest. Well, know every rivet on your armour and know how it works and how to have it best, even after a walk of 25km.

Are you going to use a furca with impedimenta as well?
135km isn't that long and many people have done the Wall before. Some area's will get hard, but if you're a seasoned walker you will get there. I can only second Demetrius' advice. Make sure you also experiment with some shorter distances day after day.

One more thing: don't forget your shoes. I found caligae doing a wonderful job. I like them on distance marches over my modern walking boots. BUT, they need to fit well, be of good quality and you need to know how to walk with them. Get used to walking with hobnailed boots over flat (and slippery!) stones and check if you would like some sheepskin padding insoles into the boots. These would do a wonderful job.

Good luck marching! Hope you've a good adventure along the wall.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Very good first-hand advice from several members here, (chafing) Lots of things to consider. Where will you sleep? Do you have a vehicle nearby to deliver you to a B&B along the route?

A B&B, what kind of luxury is that? Take your own dog-tent and sleeping gear with you.

(furthermore, there are enough B&Bs directly along the Hadrians Wall trail.)
ALA I BATAVORUM
With the segmentata, the shoulders suffer a lot, specially if you wear the furca with everything on it.
It's best to train those muscles, marching with an heavy backpack, just for training.
The weight of your luggage must be well distributed. Large handles on your shoulders it's best, maybe with extra protection in your subarmalis.

In the feet, train them by marching without shoes. Put nok cream on them.

The caligae must be very well adjusted. We find for instance that it was best to buy caligae a bit smaller than our feet, just for adjustement (if you want to buy them and not made them yourself).
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Quote:Take your own dog-tent
Are people allowed to camp along the trail? That would be ideal, no doubt about it, for the experience to be more nearly complete. How many days are expected for the trek? That matters a great deal if carrying rations. Smile
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:Take your own dog-tent
Are people allowed to camp along the trail? That would be ideal, no doubt about it, for the experience to be more nearly complete.
It is possible, but I imagine most campsites would frown on their patrons erecting even the most basic of ditch-and-bank fortifications. :whistle:
It takes about 6 days, Demetrius, at 12-14 miles each day.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Hi
Check, spare socks, wet weather, lots of kilometers ! I'm tired already, thanks.
Hi
I'm not doing it completely hardcore, I've engaged a tour company to assist as I have two children under 13, the wife and my 73 year old father in law along for the trek!!
I'm doing about 65km a week training at the moment. I've research the scutum carriage and have a plan! Sling over left shoulder with waist sling (2 belts only) to keep flat against my back left shoulder. I'm not using a furca, I'm wearing lorica, scutum, Pugio and Gladius and will try to get one pilum to carry as well. I'm not sure how they mount the helmet on chest, can you assist here?
I had problems with the caligae, one 6 km training session with socks and I was covered in huge blisters so I modified to a modern sole, I know that's not totally legit but I think the support for my whimpy modern feet is required.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm excited !
Hi tough nut!!

Next time I do it without the wife and kids and 73 year old father in law, I will not sleep at all, just lie on the top of the wall for rest, eat bugs, and slay all Poms I come across!!! Lol. I struggled with not doing it completely exactly as the Romans lived but hey, it's for charity, I'm 47 years old, like the good life and want to have fond memories of the adventure so go easy on a soft Australian will you!!
Hi Jori
Thanks, doing pack work at the moment. I ordered the caligae the same size so this might explain why they are destroying my feet!! Thanks for the advice.
I've gone soft and gone B&B, my logic is I'm invading England and each night instead of fortifying a position, I'm going to lodge with the natives!!