Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good books - hard to get
Our experience with the Romans and Rich man, Poor man books has shown us that it's a worthwhile exercise for us, that makes books that may not be easy to get, more accessible for readers. So we've decided to look more into that and I have now, for instance, got a book on Diocletian's Cavalry from a Polish publisher (but in English!) incoming. Do you know of any more Ancient Warfare/RAT-appropriate, English-language books that are not easily available on, say, Amazon, that we might add to our store?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Wow, what a great idea.

I'll put my thinking cap on but looking forward to the one on Diocletian's cavalry already!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I'm looking for a copy of the Gallic Chronicle of 452/511 still.
I should perhaps clarify that I'm not suggesting Karwansaray act as book locating service or second-hand bookstore. There are quite a few small publishers out there with interesting books. They may not have a working webshop, be very responsive to queries or able to send books worldwide. It is those publishers and their books, presuming they'd be appropriate, that I'm after.

Evan, I'd try addall.com/used...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ah okay, I misunderstood the OP
Evan

Have you tried Abe Books? They have a .com address as well as .co.uk I would give you a lonk but I'm on a restricted access computer at work.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
How about Nicasie`s book on late roman army (Twilight of Empire: The Roman Army from the Reign of Diocletian until the Battle of Adrianople)? Have been stalking this book for years but the price is ridiculous!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Similar answer to the one above Jyrki: that book is no longer in print and I'm not proposing to become a second hand book service. The publisher of that book does not exist anymore / it has been acquired by Brill Publishers.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:I'm looking for a copy of the Gallic Chronicle of 452/511 still.
It's not 'of', it's 'up to'. Smile
Chronica Gallica a CCCCLII et DXI (452 and 511), ed. T. Mommsen, in: Chronica Minora Saec. IV, V, VI, VII vol. 1, pp. 629-666, (1892, repr. Berlin 1961). It's online, but my latest link seems to be down.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Chronica Gallica a CCCCLII et DXI (452 and 511), ed. T. Mommsen, in: Chronica Minora Saec. IV, V, VI, VII vol. 1, pp. 629-666, (1892, repr. Berlin 1961).
Get your very own (digital) copy here: http://archive.org/details/chronicaminorasa09momm (it says "volume 9", but it isn't!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=335646 Wrote:Chronica Gallica a CCCCLII et DXI (452 and 511), ed. T. Mommsen, in: Chronica Minora Saec. IV, V, VI, VII vol. 1, pp. 629-666, (1892, repr. Berlin 1961).
Get your very own (digital) copy here: http://archive.org/details/chronicaminorasa09momm (it says "volume 9", but it isn't!)

Search the site and you'll find that 'Volume 11' is actually Vol 2 and 'Volume 13' is Vol. 3. (Or at least it is if my memory is correct!)

As a bonus, you can save them (in case the site ever goes down!).
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Thanks!
Tamas Dezsö has a two volume series on the Neo-Assyrian army from a Hungarian publisher. At present one can get it in North America through Kubon & Sagner (DE, US) but one has to know that it exists to do so.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Hi Sean
I see you can now get that book via Amazon too... :-D
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Tamas Dezsö has a two volume series on the Neo-Assyrian army from a Hungarian publisher. At present one can get it in North America through Kubon & Sagner (DE, US) but one has to know that it exists to do so.
I checked Kubon & Sagner and only found Volume I. Is II published yet?
aka T*O*N*G*A*R

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Been reading some good books latley muskitear 4 2,032 03-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Hard to Find Books on Auxiliary Formations arklore70 7 1,998 05-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Good books which cover 200-130BC ?? Anonymous 7 1,777 01-31-2005, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis