Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
No, I have never missed the point let alone "once again". This an example of innuendo, and to be deplored. Nor do I 'brush off' the technology. Having 'wonderful' technology that can identify organic  glue, and its type isn't new, as I said.

Furthermore you don't seem to understand the 'linophiles' fundamental problem, which as I said, is:

"Your problem ( and that of the rest of the 'linophiles' ) is to find a linen artifact firmly dated to the right period, that can be positively identified as a piece of armour, then identify 'layers' and finally identify glue......."

....the last part, about identifying glue (with or without the technology you refer to), is the least of your problems.

And how is who first postulated 'glue' relevant to anything? The two 'sources' you referred to are in any event both flawed, as I pointed out earlier.......

Joe Balmos wrote:
"I'm still looking for that quote of yours in the book I mentioned."

...I gave you 'bell book and candle' and you still can't find it? I'll try again - see attachment, last paragraph next to the photo.....

As to your last part, you are being disingenuous and misleading. I have explained more than once why we have no Tube-and-Yoke corselets from Graeco-Hellenistic southern Greece. We do have lots of examples from tombs in Macedonia,Thrace, Scythia, the North Black sea cities and the Scythian steppes, some of which are almost certainly of Greek manufacture ( along with the Helmets and other artifacts found with them )

I am not going to list all the relevant archaeological reports.....you must do your own research. In any event, this thread is not about leather Tube-and-Yoke corselets which definitely physically exist,( see attached intact example of cavalry corselet and Greek helmet from a Thracian Prince's tomb, made of leather re-inforced with scales. For full details see the "Unusual Thracian Tube-and-Yoke corselet" thread - the stupid format won't let me 'copy and paste' the url, despite allowing me to do so with quotes on an apparently random basis) but about Aldrete et al's postulated glued linen corselet for which there is no evidence.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Paullus Scipio - 09-09-2016, 05:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,415 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,120 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite