Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think of History\'s \"The Vikings\"
I caught the season opener of this last night. I was mildly intrigued. Wondering if anyone else saw it and what their thoughts were? I noticed at least one proper spatha on screen.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
The only thing it has in common with vikings is the title.

This thread is edifying.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/v...4&t=159234

The History Channel is interested in making money, not in making historical documentaries. Whenever you watch anything on the History Channel, keep this in mind:

"I run an entertainment channel first and foremost, which happens to be based on history."
-- Richard Melman, the History Channel UK
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Thank you. Good to know. Confirmed my suspicions. I will send that link to my wife so I can justify my b!tching during the show.....sadly, it will fall on deaf ears. Her: "Can't you just watch a show and enjoy it without pointing out everything that is wrong." Me: "No dear. No I can't" Then again, I should know better by now. I got the silent treatment for a week after walking out of the travesty called Robin Hood that she made me see in the theaters.
There are some who call me ......... Tim?
Quote:This thread is edifying.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/v...4&t=159234

Which, in turn, leads to...

A point about historical advisors in films
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I want to be an historical advisor Big Grin !
Quote:I want to be an historical advisor Big Grin !

Even if it was quite depressing work from historicall point of view,I think Money I would earn for sitting on the scene,drinking coffee and watching ideally scantily clad actresses,would make me happy again :twisted:
Quote:"I run an entertainment channel first and foremost, which happens to be based on history."
-- Richard Melman, the History Channel UK
If they're gonna keep calling themselves THE HISTORY CHANNEL, it'd be nice if they'd at least make such disclaimers a bit more prominent...
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Aren't they the ones that do Ancient Aliens or something of that sort, where aliens built the pyramids and who knows what else?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
You would think the Pharaohs wouldn't keep hiring little green men as building contractors after they repeatedly tried to flood and nuke humanity off the face of its own planet for unclear reasons. But then, I always thought the War of 1812 happened before the Battle of Waterloo, so what do I know? :whistle:

"I run an entertainment channel first and foremost, which happens to be based on history and frequently detours into a delusional fantasyland."
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Did you know that all towns i Skandinavia during the viking age where fortified with earth walls, palisades and ditches? build in a perfect circle.

I sure didn't... Offcause What do I know?
I just study viking age and medieval archaeology at a Danish univercity... Guess I must have missed that lecture.

This idea they base on the four "Trelleborg" that was in use for oinly about 20year in the late 10th centry...

But hey it is a cool story that help support a show about the cool viking warriors...

If it is made by history channel, you can be sure that historical fact are less important that a cool story.

But I do plan to watch this show... might be good TV. Just like I have fun watching Spartacus and Game of thrones... two other fantasy shows... and Rome was a good show.
Thomas Aagaard

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vikings didn\'t get it all their own way! Conal 1 760 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  Vandals take on Vikings Robert Vermaat 9 1,837 05-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Josef