Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Destructions in the Syrian Civil War
Raubbau an Syriens Kulturerbe. «Kommende Generationen werden uns dafür verfluchen»
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Looting at Apamea recorded via Google Earth
Syrien-Krieg: Kunst bringt Geld – oder sie wird zerstört
Ave M. Demetrius,

War seems always disastrous to cultural sites. I might point out that the (Geneva) Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict of 1954 was an attempt by civilized states to protect historical, cultural sites. It has been ratified by most states, including the United States. I know, as a retired U.S. Army officer, that target acquisition is potentially fraught with issues in this area. The problem is that this convention is ratified by states. In a conflict such as currently occurring in Syria most of the combatants, other than Syrian government troops, are guerillas unattached formally/officially to any state. With rare exception, such combatants have little regard for international law, much less for sites from antiquity. We have seen similar destruction in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

The saving grace is that most known sites have been researched by archeologists, photographed, and filmed. Still, the wanton destruction of ancient sites is indeed heartbreaking. States which might suggest that ancient sites have little value are clearly at odds with UNESCO, and most of the civilized world, which strives to protect them. We can only hope for the best.

Vale,

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre A. Kleff, Jr.)
Petrus Augustinus
Was wird von Syrien als Reiseland bleiben?
Ancient History, Modern Destruction: Assessing the Current Status of Syria’s World Heritage Sites Using High-Resolution Satellite Imagery
IS-Terroristen zerstören einzigartige Kulturgüter
ISIS is said to have levelled Nimrud with caterpillars: Terrormiliz IS planiert 3000 Jahre alte Ausgrabung
Quote:Ave M. Demetrius,

War seems always disastrous to cultural sites. I might point out that the (Geneva) Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict of 1954 was an attempt by civilized states to protect historical, cultural sites. It has been ratified by most states, including the United States. I know, as a retired U.S. Army officer, that target acquisition is potentially fraught with issues in this area. The problem is that this convention is ratified by states. In a conflict such as currently occurring in Syria most of the combatants, other than Syrian government troops, are guerillas unattached formally/officially to any state. With rare exception, such combatants have little regard for international law, much less for sites from antiquity. We have seen similar destruction in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

The saving grace is that most known sites have been researched by archeologists, photographed, and filmed. Still, the wanton destruction of ancient sites is indeed heartbreaking. States which might suggest that ancient sites have little value are clearly at odds with UNESCO, and most of the civilized world, which strives to protect them. We can only hope for the best.

Vale,

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(aka Pierre A. Kleff, Jr.)

I used to be huge into the Crusades. I've read Thomas Asbridge, Karen Armstrong and a few others works on the Crusades. I wanted one day to visit Krak de Chavilier. Guess what I'll never see in my lifetime.

Seeing pictures of it is one thing. Seeing it in person is another. I go to Rome next year. I hope ISIS doesn't make it that far.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

IS-Miliz zerstört weitere Kulturstätte Hatra

So now Al Hadra. It is a systematic campaign to destroy the oriental heritage. ISIS knows they cannot hold these territories much longer, so its scorched earth policy is creating faits accomplis. Possibly, it also wants to lure the Western "crusaders" into another military intervention on the ground.
IS köpft Chef-Archäologe von antiker Stadt Palmyra

ISIS beheads 82-year-old chief archaeologist Mamoun Abdul Karim who had been running for 50 years excavations at Palmyra.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syrian Homeric Mosaics Stolen Vindex 0 644 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Vindex