Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Destructions in the Syrian Civil War
The "business in Syria" is not about poverty. It's a political war that many people in the country started because of incitation from outside forces (who comprise probably the majority of the "rebels"), and the natural desire to throw off any oppressive monarchy. That most of the people there are Islamic is not the cause, you're right, Robert, it's just a side issue.

The things presently being ruined in Syria are being ruined mostly because they are in the way of a battle for control of the nation: a civil war. The worst of it is that hte citizens are the ones (as always) who suffer the worst, and have no real stake in the war except staying alive.

The Taliban destroyed not only the ancient Buddhist monoliths but other relics and sites as well. I fear for the similar ancient sites in Syria if the war goes on much longer, and there are many 1st C and older sites around that nation. Damascus is ancient, some say the oldest continuously occupied city in the world. Many things in Damascus have been damaged, ancient and modern, and more will befall the same fate, until perhaps, the whole city is rubble and uninhabited.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The brutal thing is that we modern people think of us being so morally superior when it comes to the care for our history. We scorn those ancient robbers who looted and destroyed the Pharao's graves. But the Syrian example tells us that we have just the same mentality - as soon as the order breaks down, people throw all qualms overboard and destroy irreplacable archaeological remains for the individual profit.

---

I have to disagree with two notions on this thread:
1. Turkey cares for its ancient heritage. At Yenikapi the Turkish government has bent over to save the remains of the Byzantine ships:
Quote:A developing country like Turkey deserves a great deal of credit for putting archeology ahead of the urgently-needed transit project and sacrificing millions of dollars in delays, argues Cemal Pulak, a Turkish–American professor heading up the Texas A&M team. “Colleagues visiting from Europe and the us are amazed,” he remarks. “They tell me that in their countries they are handed a deadline and told to simply do the best they can.”

2. Few only are aware that the Wahabist Saudi, motivated by "anti-idolatry" ideology, are actually waging a kind of war against their own Muslim heritage!
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Excellent points, Stefan and Eduardo, basically what I would have posted, just milder. Honestly I can't stand the kind of gormless chest thumping that seems come out whenever threats to antiquities are mentioned, it rapidly makes it clear just how little people know.

I could literally, literally, go out and acquire several illicit pieces without even putting that much effort into and the amount of sites ineptly managed or exploited far, far, far, outweighs those offered adequate protection in Europe alone. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of fiscal expenditure on bribes is near to that of conservation nowadays and the biggest single threat is private collectors from the US.

But hey! who cares about facts. Hur dur dur.
Jass
I had a crazy idea the other day to fight the illegal trade in antiquities. The state should mass produce ancient fakes and flood the black market with them, destroying the profit marges in the process.
The state does not need to do so, there are plenty of forgers active as is ..... The number of "finds" offered for sale from Eastern Europe is staggering. EBay is rife with forgeries/objects without provenance. So is the antiques trade. So the collectors try even harder to get the authentic stuff, saying, "He, but I got a real one".
Robert painted a picture of poor people trying to scrounge a meal, but it is equally possible this looting was done by militia wanting to get money for arms. The finds did have to be taken out of the country to be sold, so that spells organisation.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yeah and what's insane is how good some fakes are getting. The amount one can be offered in order to forge a line of text can be rather silly given how few characters are involved. Insane, and people pay ridiculous amounts...
Jass
Clashes between rebels and army edge near to iconic Crusader castle Krak des Chevaliers
UN: Syria cultural heritage in peril from war, looting
"Well this sucks."
Syria army fighting for control of Krak fort
Say good by to Krak de Chevaliers... Sad
In Italy they do not even need a war to destroy their ancient heritage through greed (sorry, couldn't find the related Pompeii in peril thread): Fresko-Raub in Pompeji. Die abgesägte Brust der Artemis verkauft sich gut
Syria regime forces seize famed Crusader fort
A few pictures of the war damages inside Krak des Chevaliers: Syria Crusader castle Krak des Chevaliers has war scars
Krak des Chevaliers. Krieg zerstört Syriens berühmte Kreuzritterburg

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syrian Homeric Mosaics Stolen Vindex 0 655 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Vindex