Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Backworth Hoard
For those who may be interested in Roman treasures the Backworth hoard is to go on special loan from the British Museum to be displayed at the Roman Fort of Segedunum (Wallsend) from the 23May-15thSept' 2013.

Here are pictures of the treasure that will be displayed.
[attachment=6645]AN00787927_001_l1Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6646]00611514_0041Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Fabulous, thanks for this Brian!

Backworth is where I was brought up and there has been pressure for years for the Hoard to "come home". Confusedmile:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Moi.

That is interesting to hear for Backworth is only about a couple of miles away from where I live at Seaton Delaval, what is also of great interest is that Backworth just happens to be on the line of the late Raymond Selkirk's 255 line Roman Frontier.

There has never been clear knowledge of just where this hoard did come from, however from the name of it this belongs to many other places along this frontier line where several other intersting finds have come from. There are roof tiles in Carlisle that came from Scalesceugh Hall in Cumbria made by the VIIII and XX Legions, 255 line, then a bridge abutment on the South Tyne river further east on the 255 line, then Hexham Abby again 255 line followed by the Red House Fort Corbridge 255 again, then a Roman fort found by Camden at Whitchester in the 16th century 255,coins found at Turpins Hill 255 line, and then the Backworth Hoard 255 line.
There is also that there were two Backworths however west Backworth went into decline and abandoned by the 16th century 255 line yet again, and there at that place there was a road known as the Kings road running along the edge of a field known as Camp field.
Brian Stobbs
Seaton Deleval? Know it very well! Beautiful Vanburgh house virtually ignored by the architectural historians darn sarf...fabulous 17th/16th C stable block and a fascinating family in themselves. I miss the North East coast line but not the wind farm at Blyth!

Yes, where this stuff came from and where it was found has always intrigued me. I was always very proud I was north of the Wall but, one could argue, close to the coast.

It's a beautiful collection...almost worth a trip home to see it.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Seaton Delaval is indeed a wonderfull place and I have to agree that the northeast coastline is just tremendous apart from the wind farm, but then I was born and raised in Blyth long ago when it was a throbbing industrial centre next biggest harbour to any north of the River Tyne.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Segedunum Backworth Hoard on Display PhilusEstilius 7 2,139 05-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar