Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
soft-kit villanovan warrior
Hi

I want to recreate an early pre-hoplite roman warrior. from what i've figured out, the villanovan culture was related to the urnfield & halstatt cultures.

so how would you dress me?

i see images of a white tunic ? is this the roman tunica-type tunic?

what kind of footware would you recommend? i see pictures of both caligae and shoes with turned up toes. many barefooted guys too.

tnx!
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Hey.

As far as I know you could go with the boots, simple sandals or as you said barefooted.
The caligae are no option, as they were invented much later by the romans.
Patrick D.
Avile-Patrick, as i've read a while back that you are making an Etruscan impression, may i ask... how are you reconstructing (if you are) Etruscan boots? What references do you have? I am building a Second Punic War Roman legionary and don't want to use caligae, as the first references, as you say, for them are a lot later, end of first century BC. I want to use "perones", closed shoes covering the ankle, but we don't really know how they looked. And what about sandals?
Yves, sorry if you consider this an off-topic from your interest.
Eduardo Vázquez
Hey Tiberius.

For now I decided to use sandals, which haven't arrived yet. The Punic wars are not in my field of interest right now.
My impression, from what I have read, is that at this time the etruscans were already assimilated into roman society and culture. According to Larissa Bonfantes book it was difficult to distinct roman from etruscan style at that time.
Concerning boots it seems that there were boots that looked like a mix of the etruscan laced one and the roman calceus.
Patrick D.
Thanks, Avile. Etruscans were assimilated by then, yeah. I was looking at Etruscan shoes as caligae appear later. I visited the museum if Volterra las October and in cinerary urns, from de III and II cantury BC, almost all the shoes shown are closed boots. But it's difficult to know how they really looked. I'll try to get a copy of Larissa Bonfantes book. May i ask... who is making your sandals?
Eduardo Vázquez
Well in that case I would go for boots.
The book doesn't have that many depictions its more of a written descriptions.
The sandals are made by a member of the hetairoi, I can give you further information on those when I got them, but that model was worn long before the punic war.
I also got another pair, they are greek but are dated later. They may better fit the depiction of a solder:
http://www.np-historicalshoes.com/vyrobk...g=en&ktg=1
Patrick D.
I made some Estruscan kit for Patrick, the tunics are not as wide fitting as the later Imperial Roman ones. They are more tailored, simple and would often be worn with a simple draped mantle of fine fabric.
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
You might find some useful reading amongst the links posted in the perones topic.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!