Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scissor Questions
True, but every example of iconography that I've ever seen has shown gladiators to be perfect physical examples. It would be highly unusual for a Roman artist to depict a gladiator (or anything for that matter :| ) in a completely accurate manner. Upon examining the picture zoomed in, I noticed that there is a defined difference at the waistline. In my humble opinion, it looks like the bottom part is a tunic, and that there's a defined line at the shoulder that gives evidence to a musculata. Also, if it is a hamata, it would be down nearly to its knees-like every other scissor depiction.
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
True, but in every iconographic depiction of gladiators that I have ever seen, gladiators have been depicted as ideal physical specimen. For a Roman artist to depict a gladiator as any way but perfect would be highly irregular. Upon further observation of the “musculata-wearing scissor” picture, I am convinced that, at the very least, this scissor is wearing a pectoral plate. I have taken the liberty of pointing out evidence that I believe supports my hypothesis. Note the strap that is more clearly visible in this picture. Additionally, there’s a defined line in front of what looks like tunic folds. As these are obviously two different textures, it is very safe to say that the front plate has to be some sort of metal.
Apiece of evidence that I would like to present supporting my belief that it is a solid piece of metal is the chest of our gladiator. If one looks closely, one can notice what (before weathering) would appear to have been stylized pectorals consistent with a musculata. Again, I reinforce this hypothesis with the style of Roman artists to portray gladiators as perfect physical specimens.
I believe that this is, in fact, a new style of scissor (or arbelas) that has not been considred by the historical community. I am of the belief that when scissors fought each other, they occasionally traded the squamata or the hamate for the musculata. This armor change would ensure that fights would not drag out too long, nor ended prematurely by exhaustion. Again, this armature would only be worn when scissors fought each other, as this combination would be no contest against a retiarius. The possibility of a new gladiator type is very exciting, and it is a possibility that needs to be considered by the academic and reenactment communities.

Best Regards,
Tyler

[attachment=7392]gladiator1_mus_bodrum.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

For lack of a better place, does anyone know where one could acquire a scissor knife? I believe that I have seen one place that you can get one off the shelf, however the website alludes me.
Tyler