Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New
Quote:
Vindex post=333471 Wrote:Is there a book or article about the Sarmatians in Britain? Stationed way up in the Derbyshire Dales I'd love to find a connection between their horse breeding expertise and the current Dales pony Confusedmile:

I've always suspected this myself...but I wonder....I mean considering that all our modern western European breeds were decided on very recently, despite the conceit one sees in popular histories linking x breed with y "extinct" breed. It does deserve some serious study. But...there are times when I've seen something of those hardy asiatic horses in our own over here. I don't know....something about the profile or the way the ears stick up or something. I suspect that there is some link there but can't prove it. So suspicion it remains.

Depends on what you mean by very recently, but the European warmblood (or dumb blood!) has a lot to answer for! The mixing of draft horses and "lighter" animals to produce bigger cavalry horses hasn't helped, but every now and then you do get a throw back as you suggest.

Oh for some funding Confusedmile:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New - by Vindex - 03-22-2013, 11:08 PM