Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New
Alanus wrote:
Quote:Yes, they were Iazyges (which I personally don't think were true Sarmatians
Sorry Alanus, thats why I put Sarmatians in quotes. Just turning to fiction, if you have read it you must cringe at the innacuracies in Gillian Bradshaw's "Island of Ghosts" where an Iazyges warrior is stuck with 500 barbarous Roxolani in which he has to teach them to use contus and long sword like the Iazyges. :lol:
But I may as well suggest that book for your list even though a work of fiction. Only for the fact that someone made the effort to write about Sauromatae/Sarmatians serving in Britain without an A
"Arthurian connection". Although I liked the antagonist Arshak as he to me was more "Sarmatian" he was arrogant, touchy and easily insulted, good with a contus, who else can delicately undo a few knots on a Celtic woman's dress from the back of a horse with a four metre long contus,and he loved to tick the Romans off by proudly wearing his coat covered with Roman scalps he gathered in Marcomannic Wars. She also gives the Sarmatians a mention in another novel "Dark North" set in Britain 208AD where the protagonist meets a roman commander who likes the looks of the Sarmatian horsemen so much he enlisted a few of them as bodyguards. Only a very minor part though.
Anyway yes I see your datalist is growing, I was always thinking of doing some sort of timeline of when these ancient writers met the Sauromate/Sarmatians and what locations.
Anyway good topic
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"

Messages In This Thread
Sarmatiana: A List of References, Old & New - by Michael Kerr - 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM