Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian\'s Wall on Google Street View
You can now visit the Hadrian's Wall forts of Housesteads, Birdoswald, and Chesters on Google Street View, as well as the Saxon Shore fort of Portchester. These were done with the trike, not the backpack, so they were quite limited by terrain (especially at Housesteads!).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Damn! Just looked at Chesters and feel abominably homesick :-(

Thank you for the links though!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I think if you have google earth there's a 3D re-construction of it.
Now wouldnt all Roman Roads by I Margary on Google Street View be great....in two volumes of course.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:Now wouldnt all Roman Roads by I Margary on Google Street View be great....in two volumes of course.
Kevin
Well, I've got a GE file that will one day be able to help. All Margary roads, plus as many subsequent roads as I could add. Oh, plus all milestones, and lead pig find spots too ;-) Has to wait for the legionary fortresses website to be finished (very time-consuming) before I get onto that one.

Have to say, Street View of some disused lengths of road would be a bit dull.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Oh Mike, i must say that THE disused sections/portions of Roman road are the ones that are most interesting. Put it this way...i am on Google Street View/or simil;ar, and i spend 45 mins on the A5 seeing nothing different than i would on normal Street View. Now if one was to suddenly come across rough ground, humps and bumps, and were told that this was virtua;lly unaltered Roman road, then i would be delighted. In a City, Exeter, Chester etc, there is nothing worse than looking at a plaque on the ground saying "it was here, etc", compared to seeing real walls/buildings/remains.
I seem to have slightly diversified from the original thread, ooops, my apologies.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote: In a City, Exeter, Chester etc, there is nothing worse than looking at a plaque on the ground saying "it was here, etc", compared to seeing real walls/buildings/remains.
In Chester you do have the street plan still in place though, and a huge great building where the principia would be - it gives a sense of scale and population you don't get on the barren rural sites!

Bit of a shame that the Houseteads buggy didn't make it down to the latrine. I can see the benefit for getting a general idea of a site, but it's nothing like yomping over the actual ruins themselves. Even when it went past the praetorium I couldn't see a good angle on the drains in the stable, one of the nicer details of the building.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Borders folk may descend from Africans from Hadrian\'s Wall Robert Vermaat 30 9,364 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
Last Post: John1
  Hadrian's Wall in 198AD JenniFletcher 2 1,208 09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Last Post: JenniFletcher
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,580 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo