late roman spatha
[attachment=6910]spathajyrki045.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=6911]spathajyrki047.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=6912]spathajyrki048.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=6913]spathajyrki051.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=6914]spathajyrki052.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=6915]spathajyrki054.jpg[/attachment]

avete omnes

My reproduction of late roman spatha (IV-V sec A.D) whit a handle composite in ivory of reindeer,horn of buffalo and brass.the scabbard have point and the top fittings in silver sheet and the blade long 80 cm and large 5 near the guard have exagonal section and is very impressive and one of the most imponent of the roman spatha's blades.It is carbon steel c70 tempered 55 hrc of heardness.Visualizza altro

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PierPaolo siercovich
Great piece!
Impressed!
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
That is a stunning piece - how much does it weigh? I would imagine quite a bit with an hexagonal cross section

Also, could you PM me the price of this if it is available?

Cheers
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Paolo,
How fast do you turn these things out? You seem to have a new sword every two or three days and every one of them is a stunning masterpiece! Do you have a crew of elves working for you?
Pecunia non olet
Avete omnes

Nobody work for me,only my sister help me for the embossing work and for the opus interrasile work because she is graduated master of art and for this works I need her help.Like I explained my passion is made roman blades so all my free time i use for made this because i like.Normally like the person that have my sword know i use for made a sword from 2 month to (when sword is very very difficult) 6/7 months.the person that take blades from me know that I do theirs sword togheter whit them because i show them alla the working progress of the construction (blade,handle,etc) so they see grown up under theyr eyes of the sword and if someting is for change we change togheter.

For cheyenne,the weigh of the sword is 1,2 kg,when i started to made this balde i immagined that was so big that could be very heavy and not confortable on the hand.I was surprise when i closed sword on handle because i hundestud that was very good bilanciament and very,very confortable on use.Olease cheyenne is difficult send private message here(don't work well the sistem) so please ive me your private mail for others information.
PierPaolo siercovich
Do you forge the blades or work them out of the bar by grinding? How much does it weigh? Impressive!
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
hello Xorx

Normally I use grinding machine and after I do the tempering of the blade.If somebody whant i can forge the blade too but who do this work know ow is long and difficult do this.I have a gas forge and I like do damascus steel too that for roman blades is not so good.
PierPaolo siercovich
Excellent spatha for an excellent gentleman! Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I wonder who the lucky owner is! :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'd buy it if I had the money lol. Great craftmanship, but the most important thing is that its shiney Tongue
My precious...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Gollum got it! Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I didn`t know that Gollum is finnish Wink
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Lovely spatha- the hilt is especially good. Look forward to seeing pic of you, Jyrki, spatha in hand defending the Northern reaches of the Empire!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,043 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  Late antiquity spatha question LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 21 5,678 04-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Late Roman Spatha- Pattern welded blade markusaurelius 27 9,464 12-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius