Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just How Many?
I've been saying for a decade or more that if we elders don't succeed in recruiting the youth to our hobby, we'll soon be a cohort of old, toothless, spindle-legged fatbellies sitting in our curule chairs and telling nobody in particular how marvelous it was back in our day.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I admit that most of us are older than veterans should be (46, 49, 55 and 56), but some are younger (37, 35 and 26). More young fresh members are on the way. Tongue
Plus, my daughter of 16 and son of 13 are still in the group. Confusedmile:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
1; Recruiting the grandchildren helps the future of the hobby. As busy adults they drift away but have a much greater chance of picking up again later on.

2; Needlefelt thrown weapons could be used for demonstrations if you are willing to concede safely glass (not very visible at a distance worn with a helmet.
[attachment=8443]DSC02704_2013-11-25.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=8444]cover.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
go to any acw reenactment forum and you can properly find a topic about how the hobby is getting smaller.
The Gettysburg 135th in 1998 had more than 23000 reenactors.

"Viking age" reenactors have no problem with competitive fighting with steel. (they just train once or twice a week)
If you are not fighting competitive then you could get away with less training and still do it safely.

Medieval groups also use crossbows and longbows in none competitive fighting.
They use arrows for shooting birds, with rubber tips. If everyone know that a volley is coming and put their shields over their heads is not really that dangerous.
And if you want it safer, use arrows made for live roleplay.

Doing "fighting" (with steel, wood, foam or sticks) will properly keep some out of the hobby... But Iam sure that a "action" element it would draw in other people.

edit: there is a group of danes doring roman legionaries... but I don't know how many they are.
Thomas Aagaard
It would be more fun to "get dirty" with equipment. We never do fights except for gladiatorial, and I don't like the idea of running around wearing nothing but a subligarium (or however you spell it).

I might do fighting in my Late Roman group (if we get enough people). That could be fun.