Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looted Roman Chamfron Found in Northwestern Turkey
This article identifies the object found as a "Greek cuirass," but it's clearly an early Imperial chamfron, and a very well preserved one at that.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/warrior...sCatID=375
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
That is indeed a very nice chamfron and similar in style to those found at Straubing C 3rd century AD. it does have small damage to the eye gaurds however overall it is in good condition and has good decoration.
Brian Stobbs
An excellent finding!
Wow! That's a beauty; thanks for posting.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I particularly like the comments from Julian Bennett, who of course now teaches in Turkey. Amusing to think why they thought it was a breastplate: did they see the openwork eyeguards formed some sort of peek-a-boo piece of kinky gear? The mind boggles...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for sharing this!
I wonder where it was found originally!?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:... did they see the openwork eyeguards formed some sort of peek-a-boo piece of kinky gear? The mind boggles...

Mike Bishop

Dammit - tea all over my keyboard! :-P
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
They must have had Gladiatress in mind :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman cavalry mask discovered in Adrianople, Turkey Robert Vermaat 0 243 02-23-2022, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman (related) must sees in Turkey? Folkert van Wijk 8 1,760 05-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk
  Roman miltary sights in Turkey M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER 5 1,792 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER