Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Century Sword - Real or Fake?
I was at a local auction today (I’m in Australia) where they had an amazing piece – A 15th Century Medieval Sword. The (unlisted) reservce was not met and it is now in negotiations which I am interested in. This is the description below and I also have some pictures too. Would you be able to give any opinion on what a good price would be to purchase this? I’ve never seen anything of this sort in Australia before. Of course there is also the question of authenticity. It does not come with a COA, but has been with the same family for decades and was brought back from overseas. Do you think it looks as old as claims? Can't find anything on Google on why it would have the date written on the sword though - seems suspicious?

Crusader look with blade inscribed to both sides “MOGUNTIA : A: D: 1492” with sword maker’s mark & “Running Wolf” in gilt inlay & a further gilt inlaid “orb” (circle and cross). Blade with shallow fuller & the hilt with flower-shaped pommel & the cross quillons with bud and urn shaped ends.

Classification: Type XVIII
Length: 80cm
Pommel : V
Cross Style: 4

[Image: 63783779.jpg]
[Image: 66254706.jpg]
[Image: 16473116.jpg]
[Image: 44105015.jpg]
Hi Anon,

A better place to ask this question is on the MyArmoury site, as there are some very knowledgable people on medieval swords there. Collectors, too! For most of us here, it's all Romans and their allies/foes of the first, second and third century.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15th-17th Century Re-Enactors needed for parade in Hollywood Demetrius 1 801 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Chuck Russell