Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
helmet question
Ave,<br>
<br>
<br>
I just got an Imp. Gallic "h" helmet, and it isn't deepeeka.<br>
what I'm wondering is, how well do deepeeka helmets fit? this one has about an inch of clearance on either side of my head. I know that a proper helmet fits so that your ears stick out enough to be protected by the earguards, and since this one seems to have been designed for a hydrocephalic gorilla, this isn't going to be an option here.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Gaius Marius Aquilus<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I'm sure deepeeka helms fit better, though I have heard there is a bit of variance in their models as well. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Yeah, there is some variation in the Deepeeka helmets. Generally, they do seem to fit pretty well along the sides, at least a little closer than an inch!<br>
<br>
But recently I've seen at least 2 Deepeeka Gallic H helmets that were really too shallow in the bowl. With any padding, the thing sat too high on the head, leaving almost an inch of space between the top of the wearer's ear and the top of the helmet's ear opening. This is exacerbated by the neck area of that helmet being too deep (the new extra ridge didn't help).<br>
<br>
It's so much easier with Coolus helmets--they aren't supposed to fit well!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
O.k.,<br>
<br>
this helmet actually fits a little bit better than previously described. it's only a half inch too big all the way around, rather than the one inch previously reported. it just looks way to big to me. not having any other re-enactors around here (Boulder, CO), makes it tough to compare notes on how things are supposed to be.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Gaius Marius Aquilus <p></p><i></i>
I you have a helmet not made by Deepeeka (and probably in the $190-250 range), it is probably the Windlass Steelcrafts version of the same helmet. They are generally of the same model, and are almost as well made (some claity in the detailing is lost on some), but they are much larger as a rule. The Deepeeka bowls are typically 25" around in circumfrence (give or take 1/4" for production variants). The Windlasses can go up to 28" around, and are really suited only for reenactors who wear a size 7 3/4" to 8"+ hat size.<br>
<br>
If your helmet inside circumfrence measures 24"-25", then that's what the vast majority of the reenacting world is wearing, and you've got about as good as you can get w/o going custom. If it's the mongo-size, then I'd trade it in/return it/sell it off at the first available opportunity, and get a Deepeeka. While I've heard (and been told!), "oh, just add a LOT of padding, it'll be fine!", a too-large helmet really does look foolish, and gives one that Marvin the Martian look.<br>
<br>
I happen to have at least one helmet of that model in my garage that I'd probably let you have cheap (we're going with a later period), email me offline if you're interested, [email protected] . Regardless, I wish you luck!<br>
<br>
Gaius Darius <p></p><i></i>